turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choccolocco WMA

Started by Kygobblergetter, February 13, 2020, 12:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

I'm planning a trip to hunt Alabama for a week starting March 28th and think I have decided on Choccolocco. I'm 23 years old and in pretty good shape so the hilly terrain doesn't worry me much. I'm wondering what kind of hunting pressure to expect since that is opening day for the wma and what kind of activity to expect from the birds a couple weeks after the state starting date. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hook hanger

Fun area! The terrain is your friend setting you away from any other hunters. I had a blast or should I say a few blasts when I hunted there.

catman529

Lots of pressure, it's pretty well known. But there are a few mountains and a lot of land to roam

Kygobblergetter

Thanks for the responses guys. I've spent a lot of time on onX and have picked out a few options for starting places to let me get away from other hunters

deerhunt1988

Plenty of other hunters and expect even more than normal this spring thanks to social media. Good news is lots of jakes in that region last spring. That can be gathered just from YouTube videos.

Edit: Forgot to mention...Its one of the few places I've ever been beaten to a gate on multiple occasions. Last spring, Sunday of opening weekend, my first choice had a truck pull up at it about 3:45AM. Guess they had heard the bird I heard in there the day before. My second choice had someone at it at 4:00AM. Its not near as bad during the week though. Tons of room to roam without interference then.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on February 13, 2020, 10:57:14 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I've spent a lot of time on onX and have picked out a few options for starting places to let me get away from other hunters

I hope so, hope you didn't pick my spot. No just kidding but surely can happen what looks good to you looks good to someone else that uses OnX. I myself now use OnX for my pre scouting along with google Earth. But a lot of good honey holes have been lost to OnX instead of boots on the ground. I learned that in 2018 when a Georgia hunter found my little honey hole while hunting in Oklahoma on OnX. A spot we found by luck after seeing a hen in the middle of no where in 2011, and may miles later found the hole. So was dissipointed to see someone else find it so easy on OnX, but he sure knew how to use it. We both scored birds, its a honey hole but only to who gets there first. So It comes down to how far you are traveling in, and if your competition is a decent hunter. So good luck and it is AWAYS fun and interesting to hunt a new area and forsure a new state.

silent tom

Pressure is as intense as anywhere you will ever see.
All these youtube channels have for some unknown reason, gotten their rocks off by exploiting this area.

Why Pinhoti, THP, Catman, Shane Simpson, and Claycomb Outdoors have done this is beyond me and will forever be.

I expect this year to be an absolute and utter mad house because of the above people.

Kygobblergetter

What about the daily permits? I'm assuming you just have to go to one of the kiosks and pick one up each morning before hunting? Any certain time they are put out for the day?

Dirtyfowl

Quote from: silent tom on February 13, 2020, 12:24:04 PM
All these youtube channels have for some unknown reason, gotten their rocks off by exploiting this area.

Why Pinhoti, THP, Catman, Shane Simpson, and Claycomb Outdoors have done this is beyond me and will forever be.

I expect this year to be an absolute and utter mad house because of the above people.

Somebody getting their feelings HURT?

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: silent tom on February 13, 2020, 12:24:04 PM

I've watched almost all the videos from the above channels, and have not heard them name drop an area once. They've talked about how they try to protect local residents by not name dropping specific names, so saying they got their rocks off by exploiting an area is ridiculous. I had no idea where they were hunting till your post, which will ironically lead to more people knowing where they hunted.

silent tom

I guess if getting pissed off about an area/resource being exploited equates to hurt feelings- then yes they are. 

As far as anyone not knowing where these guys are, you must not have taken much time to figure it out. 

RutnNStrutn

For a guy who lives in Osceola country in FLA, this post is pretty comical.  :TooFunny:
Everybody and their brother who wants a Grand Slam has to come to FLA. Social media, turkey forums, magazines and TV shows give out names of WMA's to go to, locations within those WMA's, and tutorials on how to work the permit process. It takes 2 to 4 years for a resident to get drawn for a good WMA hunt in FLA. Outfitters and land developers have made private land hunting out of reach for the average Joe. You better bring a deep wallet if you want to hunt private land.
So to hear guys griping about one WMA in a state full of Easterns, when Easterns are the most numerous turkeys that can be taken in many states, is pretty amusing. ;D
Good luck guys, hope you all do well this spring. :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey:

Dirtyfowl

Quote from: silent tom on February 13, 2020, 01:06:48 PM
I guess if getting pissed off about an area/resource being exploited equates to hurt feelings- then yes they are. 

As far as anyone not knowing where these guys are, you must not have taken much time to figure it out.

If you worry more about yourself and less on other people you would probably enjoy your spring mornings much more!

silent tom

I promise you I enjoy them as much as anyone, regardless of what anyone else is doing.

turkey_slayer

When I was there opening week a few years ago pressure was insane.  It was like they detoured interstate traffic thru that area and 90% were out of state.  Terrain is more about perspective.  It was easy compared to where I hunt but a flat lander might struggle.  Plenty of land to get away from though and watch out for rattlesnakes. Good luck