OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ultimate single shot as well

Started by SWAMPFOX, May 09, 2011, 09:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWAMPFOX

i am looking to build the ultimate single as well. i have multiple 870s rigged for turkey hunting but am looking to lighten the load and have a post pardum turkey season project to work on .  i read info on here about mossbergs ssi-1 and like the gun but it is not readily available. if anyone here want to sell one pls let me know.  with that being said i  have a bt-99 micro and a citori that i have been thinking of transforming. i would love to do the bt-99 but its only draw back is no safety. i am sure many o\u have been made into turkey guns. has anyone made a bt-99 or citori a true turkey gun? all thoughts and comments appreciated. of course there is nef  and h&r but i dont love them. 

JDogg

I was the one that just got a SSI.  I actually thought I would not be able to find one, and I got to tell you that the H&R was definitely my second choice.  They are readily available and inexpensive.  They have new "Handi-Stock" which is almost just like a Rem sureshot.  In fact I think I still want to build one.  I have 20ga H&R youth model for my son and it is wonderful to tote.  That being said if you want to turn a 1200 dollar range gun into a turkey killer, go for it!!

There was another option that I was considering, I still think it would be pretty cool,  and it is another inexpensive platform to build on.  It is stoeger condor outback.  I very short, utilitarian over under that uses choke tubes.  The only drawback to me is that the barrels are not selectable.  If they were it would be great for setting up one barrel for long range and the other for close kills.

TScottW99

I finished my ultimate single shot prior to the season.  I want to dip the barrel and forearm before next year (used tape this spring) and I think I might put a Leupold NWTF scope or Burris fastfire on it also.

This gun was a blessing this spring running up and down the mountains chasing these Virginia longbeards. 

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

SWAMPFOX

thanks for the replies tscott and jdogg. i have ruled out the bt-99 and it is now sold. but i think i am going to work the citori over. it is the older 3.5 inch waterfowl model with steel frame, barrell selector, ported barrells, dura-kote, etc.. going to try to run 3 inch win er #6 and 3 in hevi 6 or 7. any thoughts on chokes for this gun for this gun?? have not shot this gun in many years so i dont know where poi will be. 

how did ssi-1 pattern and is it worth searching one out?\

thanks, swampfox

allaboutshooting

I've owned the SSI-ONE since shortly after it was introduced. It's just a great gun with many desirable features. It's a pleasure to carry.

I shoot 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 and since they were introduced, I also shoot the #7 shot shells through the SSX .670 turkey choke. Even with the short 24" barrel it throws dense 10" patterns with excellent 20" fringe patterns.

I'm also seeing some great patterns with the Hevi-13 turkey chokes and those same loads.

This is a very sturdy gun. The sight base is of course integral to the barrel so you never have to worry about it shooting loose, even with heavy turkey loads. I've tried a variety of sights over they years and prefer the very low "dot" type sights because they are quick and allow me to keep both eyes open. The stock design allows perfect eye alignment with them as well.

The SSI-ONE patterns like the 835/935 but at a fraction of the weight and is very well balanced. I'm a real fan of this gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SWAMPFOX

thanks clark! do you know where i can put my hands on one? is your shell \ choke info pertaining to ssi-1 or citori?
thanks, swampfox

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SWAMPFOX on May 10, 2011, 10:18:55 AM
thanks clark! do you know where i can put my hands on one? is your shell \ choke info pertaining to ssi-1 or citori?
thanks, swampfox

It was about the SSI-ONE but I also have a 3" Citori "Hunter" model and the same combinations work well in it as well. The Citori has 26" barrels and the SSI-ONE has a 24" barrel.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."