OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally going to the hills

Started by falltoms, February 06, 2020, 07:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falltoms

Been wanting to hunt the Black Hills for a long time,  I'm finally going this spring. I had heard that last winter was pretty rough on the birds out there. Could anyone tell me if the southern part around the town of Pringle SD gets alot of hunting pressure, and I also considered around Custer. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

ddturkeyhunter

Been hunting the Black hills 25-30 years now but never hunted down by Pringle SD or Custer. Everything I have hunted has been about even with Rapid city and north. But have a friend who hunts down by Custer and it sounded about the same down there as most places in the hills. Depends as where your from as to what you consider pressure also. So yes you run into other hunters but you can work around it. Besides the birds in the hills move so much a hour later could be hunting other birds from a different ridge that just came in. Bring your running shoes and start making tracks.

Crghss

Do your pre scouting with google earth. There are areas northwest of you (Pringle) that where deforested by beetles a few years ago. West of jewel cave. But there is plenty of area to hunt. Just don't waste your time driving in areas with no trees.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Tomfoolery

I hunted the Custer area 2 years ago. Killed a gobbler the first afternoon we arrived. We hunted for a week trying to get my cousin a bird, got snowed in a couple of days. But were on birds every day. Came close a couple times, just couldn't seal the deal. Never ran into another hunter the whole trip. Ny advice would be to go before may 15th before the logging roads are open and put some miles under your feet. If you're used to hunting easterns like we are, forget everything you think you may know about turkey hunting! Lol. These birds cover ground and do it at Olympic track speed. If you hear a bird gobble in the evening close by, and he's still on the ground, call to him. We made this mistake one afternoon,had a bird sound off behind us, so we thought we'd close some distance and nail down the tree he was going to roost in. At one point we were very close to him, within 75 yards I would say. Making him gobble with a locator. We sat and waited for fly up, the next time he gobbled (5 minutes later) he was across a valley on the next ridge a mile away. We decided to not even try for him the next morning as we were already about 5 miles into chasing him. Once you find an area holding birds, focus on that 10 square mile area lol. We found birds roosted on the same hill every morning so they do come back to roost. Good luck. Hope you kill, I had an amazing time there and want to go back. The bird I killed was so beautiful and his fan is displayed in my living room.

Bolandstrutters

I've hunted around Pringle the past few springs.  You'll run into an occasional hunter driving around, but there are plenty of spots to spread out on.  The toughest thing will be finding the pockets of birds.  Lots of good looking areas hold no birds at all it seems, and the same looking terrain a mile down the road can have 10 different gobbling birds on it. 

kennedyh1990

I'm headed there this year as well. It'll be my first trip out out there. Super excited as it will also be first time hunting Merriam's and the last one to complete my grand slam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Ward

Sounds like an awesome adventure. A western turkey hunt is on my wish list, before i get too old to be able to do the walking required.

falltoms

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Tomfoolery on February 07, 2020, 07:25:35 AM
I hunted the Custer area 2 years ago. Killed a gobbler the first afternoon we arrived. We hunted for a week trying to get my cousin a bird, got snowed in a couple of days. But were on birds every day. Came close a couple times, just couldn't seal the deal. Never ran into another hunter the whole trip. Ny advice would be to go before may 15th before the logging roads are open and put some miles under your feet. If you're used to hunting easterns like we are, forget everything you think you may know about turkey hunting! Lol. These birds cover ground and do it at Olympic track speed. If you hear a bird gobble in the evening close by, and he's still on the ground, call to him. We made this mistake one afternoon,had a bird sound off behind us, so we thought we'd close some distance and nail down the tree he was going to roost in. At one point we were very close to him, within 75 yards I would say. Making him gobble with a locator. We sat and waited for fly up, the next time he gobbled (5 minutes later) he was across a valley on the next ridge a mile away. We decided to not even try for him the next morning as we were already about 5 miles into chasing him. Once you find an area holding birds, focus on that 10 square mile area lol. We found birds roosted on the same hill every morning so they do come back to roost. Good luck. Hope you kill, I had an amazing time there and want to go back. The bird I killed was so beautiful and his fan is displayed in my living room.

What Tomfoolery was saying about going before May 15 if you can is, most of the forest roads gates are closed and locked till then. After that time they unlock them and then you have more automobiles and atv traffic back in the woods. Not saying you won't run into them problems before that, because they do sometimes go around them gates. Thats why I always have tried to be out there on the opener. If you hunt the opener sixty percent of the time you may or will be hunting in a little bit of snow. Especially if hunting in some of the higher elevations getting past north of Rapid city or so. So when I pack for the early season in the hills I have my snow camo and pack boots. The great thing about being out there other then the scenery is if you can hear them you can chase them and hunt them. And one think you are guaranteed out there for sure, a bird, exercise or miles on your truck, I prefer the exercise. Last year was one the first years I didn't bring a bird home from SD. But sixteen inches of new snow the day before the opener shut the turkeys down for a few days, and I couldn't find them. So I went to WY Black Hills (you can buy license and tages over the counter, unlike SD that must be ordered ahead of time) and shot my bird. Came Back to SD had a few close calls but ran out of time.
You will have a blast, I am looing forward to some day going to some of the other open timber states like NM, or MT to give it a try. To hear and see them coming from a quarter mile away sometimes make the old heart go into overtime.

Ctrize

The Black Hills is my favorite place to hunt. You will have to find birds they are not on every ridge. Pringle is no different, there will be some birds and hunters but nothing to ruin your hunt. Be sure to take time to enjoy the sights. Badlands Custer State Park and Caves along with the other stuff
. Good luck.

Matt76cmich

Good luck.  I'm flying solo out to the Black Hills for the first time as well along with northwest Nebraska.  Should be a fun learning experience!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

turkeygod4

This will be my first year hunting the South Dakota side of the Black Hills. I took my first Merriam a couple of years ago on the Wyoming side in the snow on the last day of the season. I'll be driving up from Texas and have 3 weeks straight to get it done. Planning on being there early May. I ordered my SD tag yesterday and will also be getting one for Wyoming, since I'm driving 20hrs might as well hunt next door. I'll be on my own camping/sleeping out of the truck. I've chased Rio's for nearly 22 years and hunting turkey in Wyoming was prolly the most fun I had chasin' birds. Cant wait get up there.

turkeyfool

Love it there. May go back for a third straight year. Nonetheless, get ready to chase birds as they are gobbling away from you. If you're looking for a place to stay in Custer, stay at the rocket M motel with Don. He is an amazing guy, houses a bunch of turkey hunters each week throughout the season, and will even do his best to point you in the right direction