turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

More 835 testing..3 different guns--same choke--same loads

Started by fountain, May 08, 2011, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

well, i finally broke down and decided to shoot all 3 guns against each other..same 675 sumtoy choke shooting hevi 13 3.5" 7s.  

my wife has an 835..20" bbl..always shot really good.  it has shot the nitro 51013 loads well..got 302 last year with a jh and got 368 this year with a 698 sumtoy..it didnt like the 517 loads through the jh

i have ( technically my dad has, he won it at the nwtf convention) a turkey thug series 835 w/ 20" bbl.  i have shot the 517 nitros and a rhino choke..didnt do so hot ..this years loads..think i was around 250 or so with it..shot all my old loads on turkeys, so i didnt pattern the old loads/this years nitros

i have an old 835 w/ 28" bbl.  parts gun now.  killed a lot of turkeys with this gun..never got technical with patterning..shot fed. flight control 6s and hevi 13 6s through kicks chokes..never counted anything..just made sure it put enough pellets in a turkey target to kill a real one.

although i didnt shoot the same loads in my gun and my wifes, as i did in my test here, my wifes gun has seemed to outpattern my gun time after time.  i patterened the old gun, but never looked into it as i do now..but all have killed turkeys flawlessly.

now for the patterns:

my wifes gun..835..20" bbl..sumtoy 675..hevi 13 3.5" 7s....675 bore

301 in 10"
201 in 20"
120 off target
622 total hits

my gun..same as above except turkey thug series....682 bore

308 in 10"
192 in 20"
86 off..but shot was a touch low and left and some may have missed all together
586 total hits

my turkey thug gun shooting my old 28" bbl..not sure on bore diameter

295 in 10"
224 in 20"
88 off target
607 total hits

now..the wads..both wads from the 20" bbls were rolled completely over at the back..my wifes gun shot the wad 5 yards beyond the target.  the wad was not rolled any out of the 28" bbl.  maybe a pressure difference between the long and short bbls?  i couldnt tell any noticeable difference in any of the hulls..all looked gun and the same after shot.

i was figuring the 28" bbl would outshoot the others, but it didnt..maybe some of the bbls like to be shot dirty..all were shot cleaned..rod/brush cleaned and mopped.  both guns are scoped as well

all proved great patterns, some mean hunting patterns.  drop it to a .670 and i bet the numbers will jump...but there again the 20 yard patterns are gonna be tight.  i would like to try a 670..i wanna shoot a 40 and 20 pattern with the last 2 shells.  

think i covered it all in my little test.  what yall think?  i think william has got it going on..and all my 835 shoot some good patterns with them.  next i may port one bbl and not the other and see what happens.  i plan to shoot some tss really soon, so im just tinkering right now.  

cannonball

Those are all nice patterns. Very interesting test, I thought the longer barrel would have an advantage too.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

fountain

that was my gun!  all the patterns were pretty close in density..10 and 20..i thought so anyways. 

goblr77

fountain

It might..but all my test subjects have never said!  The 28"gun has a piece broken in the bolt and i was in the process of painting it when I dropped it and broke it.  I gotta get it fixed and find me a walnut stock set or synthetic set and get it all back together.   Im not gonna use it any more..I just wanted to settle curiosity by shooting it one time....but this test prolly didnt show everything.   I prolly needed to shoot a 3 shot minimum from each one cause some may have liked a dirty bore, but only had 5 shells and wasted 3 here.  Im betting it will outshout the other two in the end, but the 28" gun will be fixed and painted up nicely and sold or traded very soon and replaced by a 20 ga in either 870 or encore bbl.

beagler

Never Misses

fountain

Yep..he got it going on..the inconsistencies within the mossy bbl are odd, but they are all shooting very well.   

trkehunr93

fountain

gonna get a 670 built here soon and shoot it at 40 and 20 and will share the results

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

fountain

Yep..nice and even,  and for hunting these are perfect.  Half the load endsnup in a 10" circle and the rest spread out pretty even.   The 670 will likely go tighter than most like..or it my blow the patter..don't know yet.  I think it will raise the numbers ...which bite to shoot it from is my question..im thinking the largest one..since that prolly what is out there more.

bowhunter84

Gobble!