OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Halloran top shelf ceramic

Started by RiverRoost, January 31, 2020, 12:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

All this talk of mopeds, fat girls and the such had me all hot and bothered.  I couldn't take it.  I ordered a Top Shelf Ceramic this morning along with a copy of his DVD.  Im a sucker for a good ceramic.  Ive got a few killers (daybreak, stumpy, Paul D.) so I figured Id add a Halloran to the mix.  Some people might think his stuff is over hyped, and maybe it is to a point, however, Ive yet to hear a bad call from him and I have a lot of confidence when I carry one of his calls into the woods.  He may never make another call quite as good as the Crystal Mistress, and I know he gets judged by that accomplishment, but you have to admit thats a pretty high standard to meet.  I also kinda get the feeling he's a down to earth kinda guy just from watching his videos and maybe I got some feels for him because he's close to me in age, but Im going to continue to purchase products from him. 

Ill give a report and make a sound file whenever I get the new call in the mail.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: 7shooter on January 31, 2020, 11:05:00 PM
Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on January 31, 2020, 10:58:11 PM
Quote from: 7shooter on January 31, 2020, 10:50:29 PM
Halloran calls remind me of Mathews bows.  Every year when a new one gets introduced it gets criticized but yet they are high in demand and tend to hold their value.  I have yet to be disappointed in any of David's calls, anxious to get my hands on  one.
There were a couple in the classifieds that took a bit to sell, and less than retail.

I think of Halloran calls more like fat girls and mopeds....They are cool and fun until your friends find out...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
To be fair there have been several calls from top Call Makers going for less then retail lately.  I never thought Mopeds were fun.
Just them great big girls...

To be honest I may buy one. I love ceramic calls. Imo they are a happy medium between gray slate and glass. I've killed several birds with the original K&H ol' yeller.

PEte_A

They may be like fat girls, but look at any of the "favorite pot" threads and it would seem there are a lots of people here who like fat girls and aren't afraid to say so.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I gotta admit, my crystal mistress was my first good call. I've gone through quite a few since and it still rides shotgun in my vest! It's crazy good

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on January 31, 2020, 10:58:11 PM
Quote from: 7shooter on January 31, 2020, 10:50:29 PM
Halloran calls remind me of Mathews bows.  Every year when a new one gets introduced it gets criticized but yet they are high in demand and tend to hold their value.  I have yet to be disappointed in any of David's calls, anxious to get my hands on  one.
There were a couple in the classifieds that took a bit to sell, and less than retail.

I think of Halloran calls more like fat girls and mopeds....They are cool and fun until your friends find out...

aclawrence

I keep seeing talk of the old crystal mistress. For those that think the older ones are the best. What years are you talking about?  In case I was to run across one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

Not sure what year my Crystal Mistress is (it can't be but a few years old at best) but it's one of, if not the best crystal call I've ever ran/owned. I'd put it against any other call out there!

PEte_A

Mine is a 2016 and is ggggoooooodddddd

mudhen

Just ordered the Top Shelf...toms will tell...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

goblr77

Ordered one last week. It should arrive in the next few days. I'm a sucker for a good ceramic call. I keep one of Stumpy's in my vest.

Terry

Quote from: goblr77 on February 05, 2020, 12:34:02 PM
Ordered one last week. It should arrive in the next few days. I'm a sucker for a good ceramic call. I keep one of Stumpy's in my vest.
Stumpy's is top notch. Also, check out Schaffer's new ceramic in a Blue Mahoe pot. Don't think he's making many

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

gobbler336

Of those of us that ordered has anyone got there call yet?

Fieldturkey

I got mine last week. I like his old one better

gobbler336

Really, I ordered mine the 4th when did you order yours?

Also I had his older ceramic, but I like a call that can tone it down, still give a excited raspy hen Yelp but not scream at him and to me the older one was a screamer, and supposedly this one can be toned down, tell me your opinion of the two

870BkWht

I received mine last week and I honestly think its in a top 3 for me on ceramics.  I already had a Stumpy, a Gary Anderson Daybreak, and Ive bought and sold over 20 difffernt ceramic pots in the past 3 or 4 years.  This new Halloran is good.  I like it better than his previous one in the cherry/purpleheart pot.  To my ears, the new Halloran is better than Hanks, Houndstooth, Shaffer, Roberts, Kaiser. 

Then new one has a more orange colored ceramic surface, but it grips the striker really well.  I play a pot right handed and I hold the pot with the left hand, striker in the right.  For me.... this pot plays better closer to my hand, rather than running the striker at the 12 oclock position like I normally do.  The Top Shelf Ceramic sound is dependant on what kind of pressure your putting into your striker.  This is a versitale call, but its not as forgiving as a crystal or glass surface. 

Ill leave it by saying this.  If you think your sound coming from Davids new pot is going to sound just like his video clip, your setting yourself up for failure.  You're not David, and lets face it, he can run a pot call.  Hes good.  If you can keep your expectations limited to how you run a pot, then youll be pleased.

Jroddc

mudhen

Really liking it so far!

It's lively & bright...takes to many different strikers...

Seems like a very versatile call...

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka