OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Broken Crystal Zink

Started by mbrockman5, March 26, 2020, 08:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbrockman5

Good evening everyone. I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I posted in the wrong section...

My wife surprised me with a new Zink Wicked Crystal pot call today for the upcoming season opener this Saturday (in Northern California). Sadly, when I opened the package I saw that the crystal surface was cracked right below the pre-conditioned spot and goes all the way across.

I've already started the Replacement Process with Amazon, but their shipping time is at least a month out. In the mean time, I still get to keep the call until the new one arrives.

> My question is; Being that opening day is in 2 days, will this call still function with a crack, or will I be setting myself up for failure out in the field?

I have a box call and 2 diaphragm calls so I'm not completely screwed. I was just excited to try out a nice new call on opening day...

Thanks in advance...

-Mike B.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

I've had calls crack that we're still very strong. I had the maker repair them nonetheless, but they were still huntable.

Sir-diealot

Have you tried it? How does it sound? I would bring a backup.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mbrockman5

I did try it. Right away actually... It sounds good to me, but I'm still relatively new to pot calls

My last pot call was a cheap Quaker Boy "Rite-Touch" call that I got as a beginner/intro call years ago. I never really liked it, but it was a "budget + minimal skill" purchase...

I have always been comfortable and successful with my box and diaphragm calls, but I've wanted to expand my calling capabilities for years and found the Zink Wicked for a great price on Amazon. I figured this would be a good call that'll last me for awhile before I eventually invest in a custom call (TBD).

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mbrockman5 on March 26, 2020, 09:39:23 PM
I did try it. Right away actually... It sounds good to me, but I'm still relatively new to pot calls

My last pot call was a cheap Quaker Boy "Rite-Touch" call that I got as a beginner/intro call years ago. I never really liked it, but it was a "budget + minimal skill" purchase...

I have always been comfortable and successful with my box and diaphragm calls, but I've wanted to expand my calling capabilities for years and found the Zink Wicked for a great price on Amazon. I figured this would be a good call that'll last me for awhile before I eventually invest in a custom call (TBD).

If you think it sounds good then go ahead and bring it, but be sure to bring backup. I am shocked Amazon is taking that long, are they sold out?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

mbrockman5

I think it has to do with this whole Coronavirus situation... Almost everything we order (both business & personal) from Amazon is pretty much a month out.

I don't know if it's because of increased online traffic or warehouse closures... With so many businesses having to close, I'm betting on the latter. My wife and I had to close our 2 hair salons because of it...

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 26, 2020, 09:45:18 PM
Quote from: mbrockman5 on March 26, 2020, 09:39:23 PM

If you think it sounds good then go ahead and bring it, but be sure to bring backup. I am shocked Amazon is taking that long, are they sold out?
They having delays in shipping because of the Virus , i think i saw yesterday that have 6 shipping warehouses were someone has tested positive in each location.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mbrockman5 on March 26, 2020, 10:13:58 PM
I think it has to do with this whole Coronavirus situation... Almost everything we order (both business & personal) from Amazon is pretty much a month out.

I don't know if it's because of increased online traffic or warehouse closures... With so many businesses having to close, I'm betting on the latter. My wife and I had to close our 2 hair salons because of it...

I know it is hurting a lot of people financially, I wish you and all of them the best of luck and hopefully we will be over this sooner than later.

John Koenig:

Tom007

Amen, good luck to you.....
"Solo hunter"

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 26, 2020, 10:19:25 PM

I know it is hurting a lot of people financially, I wish you and all of them the best of luck and hopefully we will be over this sooner than later.
I'm an Amazon employee, they have expected delivery dates pushed out further than usual because staffing is down and they don't want to set an expected delivery date that they may not deliver on. Amazon's number one priority is fulfilling the customer promise, and if they "promise" by giving you an expected delivery date they stand by it to the best of their ability. Many items are shipping faster than what the expected date is given, but still slower than typical operations.

They're offering double time pay and plenty of OT but people still aren't wanting to show up to work. Between the five warehouses in Kansas City, 12 employees have already tested positive for the virus, and it's only expected to get much worse within the next 14 days. If staffing in my warehouse is below 50 people we can't run the sort shift, and no one's packages get delivered. The way it's looking, even Amazon may be on temporary shut down VERY soon.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: HookedonHooks on March 26, 2020, 10:43:36 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 26, 2020, 10:19:25 PM

I'm an Amazon employee, they have expected delivery dates pushed out further than usual because staffing is down and they don't want to set an expected delivery date that they may not deliver on. Amazon's number one priority is fulfilling the customer promise, and if they "promise" by giving you an expected delivery date they stand by it to the best of their ability. Many items are shipping faster than what the expected date is given, but still slower than typical operations.

They're offering double time pay and plenty of OT but people still aren't wanting to show up to work. Between the five warehouses in Kansas City, 12 employees have already tested positive for the virus, and it's only expected to get much worse within the next 14 days. If staffing in my warehouse is below 50 people we can't run the sort shift, and no one's packages get delivered. The way it's looking, even Amazon may be on temporary shut down VERY soon.
Thanks for that update, interesting to know but not very surprising. I order a LOT from Amazon.

John Koenig:

mbrockman5

UPDATE:

I took the call to try out on Sunday. The call still worked pretty good* for being cracked and was so much easier and smoother than my old "intro" pot call. Even though I came home empty handed, I had birds gobbling back like crazy.

*Now, the reason I said "pretty good" is because I received a surprisingly unexpected package in the mail this afternoon... My replacement Zink arrived a month early!!!!

I crossed my fingers, wiped away the nervous sweat and opened it up, and BAM! A brand new, completely intact/unbroken Zink Wicked Crystal and Holy Crap! It sound soooo much better! I don't know if the crack wasn't letting the vibrations travel across the entire surface or what, but the new call sounds awesome.

(I know this is a small/petty thing, but nowadays you have to take whatever victories you get, no matter how little)

Sir-diealot

Glad to hear it worked out for you, good luck when you go out with the new one.

John Koenig: