OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: Hunting with a Tactacam.  (Read 355 times)

Offline MK M GOBL

• Longbeard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Hunting with a Tactacam.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
Great information.  I guess my main problem/thought on the Tactacam (or similar) is that if it is attached to your gun (or other part of the body) the shot recoil is going to always be a problem,...which pretty much means if you want to get a good video of the actual shot, you would always have to have another camera running and on the bird.

I am not trying to get professional-level footage.  I use a small (but pretty good) Sony on a tripod set beside me so I can catch the "action", but the obvious short-coming of that is you only get that one angle,...not to mention that movement is always going to be a concern when turkeys are close by.  After some consideration of the options, I am leaning towards just picking up another inexpensive Sony (or similar) and setting it up in a position that I can get some wider-view footage from behind or from the side and just hoping it is pointed in the right direction, I suppose. 

What us self-filmers really need is some sort of affordable, remote-control camera and tripod set-up so we can control every aspect of the filming from a single source without movement.  I'm not aware that anything like that exists, but it would sure make things a lot easier. 

Here's another question for you guys that try to put together more complete videos of your hunts:  What editing software and/or equipment do you use?

Agreed, I do at times forget the camera and keeping it pointed at the bird after the shot, and the recoil part too. Even with the bow I have done this, my head is still in the hunt :)

I am not aware of any remote camera system that could do what your thinking, I have looked at some different one but not set up for the self filming. I'm sure why I act as cameraman for my buddies.

I have some older software I use (Pinnacle Pro) and it's ok for my use, even buddies I film for just send in raw unedited footage and their sponsors do the editing.  I hear some of that software can get pretty pricey...

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:24:34 AM by MK M GOBL »

Online Turkeyman

Re: Hunting with a Tactacam.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 06:40:21 AM »
I use Shotcut because it's open source...thus free. Not a professional product but suits my needs. Plus tons of YouTube info on it's use, due to being open source.