Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The Wait Sucks!

Started by davisd9, January 30, 2020, 01:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

I know living here in the deep south that I am lucky that our season starts sooner than other parts of the country but the wait is starting to really suck.  We have about 51 days before we can start hunting and it seems to be slowing down some.  I have already pulled my vest out and played with it some.  Soon we will be reloading and checking guns.  I will have to do a little scouting on the farm this year as some timber was cut and I just want to make sure I got a good feel on how things will go.  Anyway Spring 202o is closing in and I cannot wait for it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Bowguy

Waiting always stinks. Get some hounds n chase something til spring

dirt road ninja

I'll probably just keep fishing till I start scouting. Been a fairly consistent winter for me on the fish. When it's cold they've been fairly predictable.

davisd9

Do not got hounds and do not want them.

I say that half lying. I would love a fiest!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

I've got one dog and it is a fierce beast. I'm surprised I still have all my limbs.

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 30, 2020, 07:58:40 PM
I've got one dog and it is a fierce beast. I'm surprised I still have all my limbs.

Lol

Rzrbac

Yes the wait is dragging. I'm ready to get in the woods and start walking for sheds. Got to get the shotgun lined up with a new optic but that won't take long. I guess I can just keep practicing on my trumpet till April. Lord knows I need a lot of practice.

Bowguy

Quote from: davisd9 on January 30, 2020, 07:49:48 PM

Get a couple rabbit dogs and it's not real dif than turks in a sense. Barking closing in on you or gobbling nearing means a shot may be imminent. The anticipation is similar. Dif degree of course but similar too. 
Same for calling ducks except you can visually see the birds reaction. It's all about the anticipation

davisd9

:cross2:s Ti
Quote from: Bowguy on January 31, 2020, 10:04:21 AM

Get a couple rabbit dogs and it's not real dif than turks in a sense. Barking closing in on you or gobbling nearing means a shot may be imminent. The anticipation is similar. Dif degree of course but similar too. 
Same for calling ducks except you can visually see the birds reaction. It's all about the anticipation

Not enough rabbits around to shoot. Population is improving but when coyotes came and populations grew, they put a hurting on our rabbits. Not a lot of great habitat anymore either.

dirt road ninja

We have pretty good rabbit hunting around here in the marsh. We use to kill limits all the time without dogs.

Bowguy

Quote from: davisd9 on January 31, 2020, 10:07:14 AM
:cross2:s Ti
Quote from: Bowguy on January 31, 2020, 10:04:21 AM

Not enough rabbits around to shoot. Population is improving but when coyotes came and populations grew, they put a hurting on our rabbits. Not a lot of great habitat anymore either.

Same issues up here. Not like it used to be.

Bowguy

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 31, 2020, 10:13:32 AM
We have pretty good rabbit hunting around here in the marsh. We use to kill limits all the time without dogs.
Swampers?

dirt road ninja

Cottontails, they just bigger here than I've seen in other places.

Bowguy