North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killer B’s Story Thread

Started by zsully, January 27, 2020, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

CONGRATS, KH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep knockin' 'em down, boys !!!!!     Us PA boys will sit up here and watch from the sidelines...............    ::)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

a_jabbo

Congratulations, KH!! Good bird. Sucks that he broke a spur.

Our time is coming Yoder.

zsully

Look at this!!!!! I go to camp for a long weekend and another falls to the Killer B's. Congrats KH!!

Yoder409

Quote from: zsully on April 21, 2020, 08:58:39 PM
Look at this!!!!! I go to camp for a long weekend and another falls to the Killer B's. Congrats KH!!

Go to camp, again !!!!

:toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zsully

Well I went camping and good things happened in WV. Took a short drive over the border where a coworker generously allowed myself and a_jabbo to camp and hunt on her property. Friday night we were able to roost a bird and yesterday morning dawned foggy which turned out to be a blessing. We ended up misjudging where the bird roosted and got a bit tighter then we wanted. He ended up being about 80 yards directly uphill. When he pitched down it sounded like he was walking away from us toward a gas line. Since it was so foggy and we had the terrain in our favor we bailed off the hill hit an ATV trail and hooked around where we thought we would be in front of the bird. One call and he answered.......right from the tree we just left. We set up right where we were, Adam dropped back a little bit and started calling and man did he get this bird fired up. He was double and triple gobbling and man the drumming!!!! The drumming was so loud but the fog was so thick I couldn't see him. Then like a ghost he just materialized out of the fog at 35 yards in full strut. He strutted and drummed his way to about 20 yards where I shot him. It was a great hunt shared with a great friend! Real excited for the Pa opener next Saturday.

xbowhuntonly

Its slow where I'm hunting can't get the weather to cooperate every time I go it's cloudy rainy crappy mornings but I'm hoping I can get it done in Ohio this weekend congrats to everyone great birds and stories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossyguy

Delmar ODonnell

Hell of a bird Captain! Bet hearing the drumming in the fog was something special

Delmar ODonnell

I'm headed to Northeast Wyoming Friday to hunt the black hills. Gonna hit WY and SD and hopefully MT before heading across to Minnesota and Wisconsin

twyatt

POk3s

Howdy fellers!

Just returned home from my annual trip to the black hills. Had a great time hunting a lot of my familiar spots, learned more along the way, and found a lot of hard headed birds that would gobble at everything but would flat REFUSE to come to the call.

On my bird, myself and my girlfriend were able to put ourselves in between the boss hen and the gobbler. As soon as I figured out that she was calling to the flock and the gobbler was lagging behind with other hens I knew we had a great chance. We kicked the boss hen off of her high point and I basically become the boss hen, calling sparingly but it worked great. I had 4 hens come to within 30 yards and the gobbler finally showed himself at about 40-50 yards. It was one of my longer shots and I jumped up ready to hop on the bird but he barely flopped. Believe it or not, that's a long spurred turkey for the black hills. This is only the second older bird I've ever killed up there as most 2 year olds have half inch rounded spurs.

This was my girlfriends first hunting trip where she was going to get to try and kill something and I had tried to get her on a gobbler the day before I killed mine to which we were successful at getting him to about 15 yards. We were unsuccessful at sending a shot down range. She was a bit apprehensive not wanting to shoot a jake (spoiled I know) and didn't feel comfortable so didn't shoot. There were probably 15+ turkeys in this group and it was a lot to handle. I got reminded quick on how a 99.999% successful opportunity for a seasoned turkey hunter is very touch and go with a beginner!

Sunday morning we got on the same group of birds off the roost. A gobbler and two hens branches off and worked our way. They started skirting us at about 50 yards and so we were able to work down a tree line to intercept them. He did perfect and came up to the crest of the hill and stuck his neck out in all his glory. I said "there it is...kill him."...... 5 seconds go by and nothing. He puts his head back down and as she shifts he raises his head again... "okay kill him there." Another few seconds and nothing as he turns to leave. I hit him with the call and he extends his neck one more time. "Honey, it has to be right now!" ...a few seconds goes by and and KABOOM! I just knew that was it but nary a feather flies, the bird ducks and takes off running at Mach 9. I said "well...you missed... but that's okay!" She was pretty bummed as she really wanted to take a bird, but it was a good reminder for her to take target practice seriously and remember all the little things! I felt good that I gave her two great opportunities and the one she missed wasn't a rushed shot, a borderline opportunity, or anything of the sort...just a flat out whiff! Sometimes the turkey wins!

POk3s

Congratulations on the recent success everybody! Just getting caught back up on all the stories and pics!

twyatt

Congrats POK - beautiful bird!!!

Mossyguy

That last pic says it all...been there-done that!

zsully

Congrats POK!! Very nice western bird indeed.