turkeys for tomorrow

Killer B’s Story Thread

Started by zsully, January 27, 2020, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoosier2

Nice work mossy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a_jabbo

Another one bites the dust!! Congrats, Mossy!!

And a big CONGRATULATIONS to Twyatt

Delmar ODonnell

Killed my final MS bird this morning. He played the game well. Its bittersweet to end a season, but he's a good bird to end on. 11.5 inch beard, 1 1/8 spurs with one broke off, and he had been shot before. Found some #5s in his breast and I shoot 9s. Pretty cool to kill a bird who has seen a thing or 2 in his day

Mossyguy

twyatt

Yoder409

Way to go, boys !!!!!!!!

Keep knockin' em down !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

xbowhuntonly

Congrats everyone

zsully

Things are on fire and we're still sitting on the sidelines in Pa waiting for our chance to get in the game. You guys are killing me!!!!!! Congrats on some great birds!

POk3s

Congrats to you all! Looks like a great season down

I'm going to make a trip to the Wyoming black hills (Wyoming resident) the 24th through the 26th with my girlfriend. Hopefully, if all goes right, I'll have one of those low scoring merriam 2 year olds to add to the list!

a_jabbo

Congratulations guys!!! Solid birds. Can't wait to be able to toss my hat in the ring and compete.

twyatt

What another awesome morning in the woods!  Went yesterday to a new spot, only heard a few gobbles off in the distance, but when I was leaving I noticed tracks and strut marks in the road right in front of where I'd parked my truck, clearly from the past couple days since it poured Monday.
  So this morning I went back, but parked my truck WAY back up the road.  Listened for a while at first light, but only heard one or two gobbles WAY off in the distance.   Without having heard anything remotely close, I figured I'd just set up in an open spot at the end of the road and just plan on sitting til noon.  As soon as I got set up, I decided I didn't really like that spot after all, so I grabbed the decoys and walked back to where I'd seen the strut marks, put my decoys right in the dirt road, walked about 20 or so yards and started to get set up and settled in.   I kicked the leaves away, set my chair down, sat down, and was taking my calls out of my vest when I looked up and there's a gobbler RUNNING down the road straight towards the decoys!  I didn't have my facemask on yet, had a box call in my hand, and my gun is laying across my lap.   UH OH, is all I could think.   He sprints right up to the decoys and then just stands there almost eye to eye with them, and freezes.   I was hoping he'd be distracted enough to not notice me putting the box down and slowly raising my gun, but no such luck.  He picks me off and as he turns around and takes about 3 quick steps to get out of dodge, I shot him, he didn't go down so I shot again and he made his way around the corner and ran up another road that was about 40 yards away and to the right and out of sight.  I sprinted down the road and turned right and to my relief he was laying in the road.   
I never made a call, so I suppose he was coming in to me kicking the leaves.   
My biggest bird to date and I'm tagged out in VA!  Pics in the scoring thread

Delmar ODonnell

Hell of a bird! Congrats!

Hoosier2

Nice job Wyatt! Fixing to scratch that itch soon! Been listening for 2 weeks now

a_jabbo

Congratulations Twyatt!! Great bird

Yoder409

GREAT BIRD !!!!   CONGRATS !!!

I went ou this morning to try to get a line on a bird for my daughter next Saturday.  Pretty disappointing..........but it was kinda windy and cold.  Hopefully better finds tomorrow morning.  Had my 13 year old son out in the back yard trying to familiarize him with the new .410 turkey gun.  It went............meh.........OK.  But he's not ready yet.  We were shooting tin cans at 25-30 yards.  We have work to do.

The gun, itself was actually ready to kill a bird at 30 yards with the practice rounds.......... 3" 7 1/2 shot.  First shot I took was at 30 yards and it had WAY plenty hits to have crushed a gobbler at that distance.  I have yet to put it on paper with the TSS #9's.  Got a gut feeling it'll be quite OK.

Both kids and I took 3 blinds out to the property this afternoon and set 2 of them in their usual spots.  The field where we put the 3rd one wasn't mowed last fall so no blind went there today.  But my brother later said he would get it cleaned up this week.  So may stick that one out tomorrow afternoon.

Gonna go listen in the morning.  Then straight off on an hour and a half drive for an early meet-up with a guy who wants rid of a few Federal Heavy 7's.  Just so happens I'd like to lay a few more of those in, so...........
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.