Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killer B’s Story Thread

Started by zsully, January 27, 2020, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmar ODonnell

Was able to connect with this 2 year old bird at 10:45 this morning. I'll post the story and score later this evening. Very blessed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbowhuntonly

Congrats Delmar

zsully

Congrats Delmar!!!! That's awesome. You're killing me. I still have a month before I can hunt in Pa

a_jabbo

YES!!! Delmar strikes again! Congrats buddy.

Delmar ODonnell

Thanks guys! So here's for a long winded story. I'm currently in my second year of law school at Ole Miss, and with all the coronavirus precautions, we've been moved to all online classes and the grades have been changed to pass/fail. These changes have allowed me to hunt every day it's not storming, and for that I am very fortunate.

The past few weeks have been a struggle, to say the least. It's always rough here in MS early season, with birds having lots of hens and are generally tight lipped once they hit the ground. Even then, I've been with 75 or so yards of a bird 5-6 times, and have had one at 40 yards, just on the wrong side of the property line, and also had a bird I was working killed by somebody else on Wednesday. As I'm sure all of yall can relate, these close calls, coupled with the days where I just strike out completely, make me feel like I completely forgot everything I know about turkey hunting.

This morning was Day 19 for me, and my best friend who hasn't turkey hunted accompanied me. Today's forecast was perfect: sunny, calm, and in the high 60s after an overnight thunderstorm. This was by far the best day we've had, and I thought it would bring a change in attitude to a bird or two. We only heard one bird on the roost, and as so often happens, he went quite shortly after flydown.

We decided to check out another spot around 9:30. I made a point to take the long way around to the back of the property line to not bump anything walking in. When we got to where I wanted to start on the ridge, we were met with a cacophony of dogs barking, doors slamming, and all other kinds of racket coming from the adjoining private property. I was pretty discouraged to say the least. We still decided to ease our way down this main ridge. After about 100 yards, I cut twice and gave a 5 note yelp. He cut me off after the 4th.

He was 100-120 yards away on a small finger than ran off the main ridge. My buddy and I quickly picked a couple trees and sat down on the south side of the main ridge, facing the finger. I gave a steady dose of purrs, clucks, and whines when we first sat down. He did not respond to any of my calls a second time. After 10 minutes, I see a hen walking on top of the main ridge towards us. I just knew she had the gobbler in tow. My belief was mistaken, as she was by herself and after gazing in our direction from 30 yards, decided she didn't like the fact she couldn't see her friend, and she began clucking as she walked over the crest into the bottom on the north side of the ridge.

I started clucking back, and she eventually calmed down and threw some yelps in with her clucks. The gobbler immediately responded to her. He had gone over the ridge 100 yards ahead where the finger joined the main and was now just over the crest approximately 60-70 yards. I told my buddy I needed to get to the big tree on top of the ridge, and ditched my vest as I made the 30 yard crawl. When I reached the tree, I let out one series of yelps and he immediately fired back. At this point I knew this was gonna end in either a dead or spooked turkey. I did not make another sound. He was close.

There was a small sapling directly in front of me at the 12:00 position, and I had left my pruners in my vest, now abandoned 30 yards behind me. So I put my barrel on the right side, towards his last location, and hoped for the best.
This turkey started drumming, and it was deafening. I knew he was right over the crest. After five minutes of this, I finally see the top of his fan, just 30 yards away. He has worked his way down the ridge to my 9:00 position. I now needed to get my gun barrel to the left side of this sappling.

He'd pop out of strut and periscope, and all I could see was his waddles up. I just knew the game was about to be up as he stared daggers in my direction. Then he would pop into strut, drop his head, and I would just see the top of his fan again. Every time he did this, I worked my gun his direction. After 5-6 times of him doing this, I finally had my gun positioned. I kee keed and his head came up for the final time. I probably skimmed the top of the crest with my pattern, but it was effective nonetheless. He made for a perfect turkey hunt that ended at 10:45 am, and sure lifted my spirits after struggling the past few weeks, and it was awesome to experience it with my best friend.

Sorry for the long winded story guys. I look forward to the rest of the season and hearing all of y'alls stories. Stay safe and God Bless!

POk3s

Awesome job Delmar!!! Congratulations on OFFICIALLY breaking the ice for the team and getting back on track!!

twyatt

zsully

Congrats Delmar. Real good bird. Love when it works out like it's supposed to!

Delmar ODonnell

Was able to score on a nice 2 year old today at noon. Watched him strut and breed his hens at 80 yards for about 2 hours before he headed my way. It was a hell of a show. He scored like .2 less than my other bird, so no upgrade there.

zsully

Look at you just pouring it on now!!!!! Man that gets me pumped up.

a_jabbo

That's freaking awesome man!! 3 birds down already, and we still have a month until we can hunt in PA. Congratulations, Delmar!!

Mossyguy

Just shot a nice 2 year old a few minutes ago. It has been tough this year as the majority of the birds I had moved on to other properties...I'll post the pics and story later on. It's about time!

xbowhuntonly

Quote from: Mossyguy on April 02, 2020, 05:18:44 PM
Just shot a nice 2 year old a few minutes ago. It has been tough this year as the majority of the birds I had moved on to other properties...I'll post the pics and story later on. It's about time!
Congrats

Mossyguy

This season has been tough for me. Most of the gobblers I had before the season opened vanished to parts unknown. I had two that stuck around on one property but I let my dad get after those. He's 71 and this piece of property is close to the house so it would be easier for him to get on them.
The other property had 3 but then only one would show up on camera. They would not gobble at all and his movement was so random...different hours and different days. I checked a camera on a food plot yesterday and saw that he had been there the last two days. After hearing nothing this morning on a different place I decided to get to the food plot this evening and just wait him out. I set up in the shade under some overhanging limbs and settled in.
I called every 20 minutes for the next two hours. About 10 minutes after my last call sequence I saw a gobbler step out of the woods about 75 yards away. He began making his way towards me so I said nothing. When he got to 30 yards I yelped twice and he stretched to peek through the shadows where I was hiding. I pulled the trigger on my 20 and he never flopped. He was a nice 2 year old and I couldn't be more happy. I ended up deer hunting the bird but it was still exciting!

a_jabbo