turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your Deadliest Turkey Call?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 27, 2020, 12:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Sitting here with turkey hunting on my mind and getting cabin fever. Thought I'd stir up conversation. What's the deadliest turkey call you own, your go-to? When I was about 16 my dad bought me a lynch world champion box call. Something about that old box simply made turkeys gobble when nothing else would. I had no idea what I had, thought it was just an ordinary box call. Lost it many years ago and I'd pay big money to have it back. Been searching for that sound out of a box ever since. Aside from that, I rely heavily on woodhaven mouth calls. What's yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Remturkey

My old faithful Mountain Hollow walnut double slate.  Carry at least 10 calls in my vest but that one always seems like it's the one that seals the deal.

sasquatch1

Hooks swindler for me. It's plain deadly to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobk

A Rohm slate and a Lynch box have been very deadly  over the years.

rakkin6

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

bbcoach

Believe it or not, it's a Primos Ol Betsy grey slate with a wood laminate striker.  A production call that is only $14-$15 but gets tons of responses and has been the death of many birds.  It's the first out of my vest every morning.  TOTAL CONFIDENCE.

JeffC

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 27, 2020, 12:24:43 AM
Sitting here with turkey hunting on my mind and getting cabin fever. Thought I'd stir up conversation. What's the deadliest turkey call you own, your go-to? When I was about 16 my dad bought me a lynch world champion box call. Something about that old box simply made turkeys gobble when nothing else would. I had no idea what I had, thought it was just an ordinary box call. Lost it many years ago and I'd pay big money to have it back. Been searching for that sound out of a box ever since. Aside from that, I rely heavily on woodhaven mouth calls. What's yours?

The 1st box I bought was a Lynch with a battleship  on top? Same problem , lost it, bought another 1, no where near as good. As far as best call now, my own slate over black walnut. And also , still searching for that sound..
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Fullfan

MAD Super Aluminator, call has no less than 150-160 long beards to its credit.
Don't gobble at me...

silvestris

Morgan Caller or Cox Trumpet; would hate to part with either.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Hobbes

I run diaphragm calls about 99% of the time.  Any given year I may decide that one call that I have is running better than the other.  I've ran an assortment of production calls and a few from smaller producers.  I tend to prefer a combo cut.  I like a little cleaner yelp sometimes so go with a straight double or a double cut.  I also like a ghost cut, and sometimes a V or batwing. 
I suppose that I'm not locked into any one.

GobbleNut

Like you Hobbes, I'm pretty much a mouth call guy myself,...and what I use at any given time is based on the conditions at hand.  However, a friend of mine picked up a "Booger Bottom" box call at Walmart for twelve bucks that I have been totally amazed at how consistently gobblers will respond to it. 

Overall, that call has clearly demonstrated to me that there is a certain element in tonal quality in hen yelps that gobblers respond to better than others.  By that, I mean that to me that call sounds pretty much like a lot of other box calls,...but it will consistently pull gobbles out of turkeys when other calls won't.  Beats the heck out of me!... (post script:  I haven't figured out a way to steal that call from him yet...)

richard black

AGE Trumpets by Anthony Ellis, blackwood and osage in particular. Many gobblers have fallen to their music.   

Gobbler428

x2 AGE Trumpets by Anthony Ellis - Bocate

fmf

This call was so deadly the first several years that I owned it that I had to buy a backup just in case I lost/broke/wore it out.  I like to swap calls in and out of my vest almost daily, but this one is nearly always in there.

Muzzy61

Seems like to finish the deal my Sneed's hot hen does the trick mostly. But I have an old original Quaker Boy Grand Old Master that has continues to strike turkeys.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr