OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Soft and Slow or Loud and Aggressive?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 26, 2020, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

Aggressive calling will kill more birds than the soft stuff but it would be counterproductive to use that calling strategy alone. Using a mix of calls, depending on the situation, will yield the best results overall.

GobbleNut

Quote from: simpzenith on January 29, 2020, 08:26:54 PM
Aggressive calling will kill more birds than the soft stuff but it would be counterproductive to use that calling strategy alone. Using a mix of calls, depending on the situation, will yield the best results overall.

Again, from my own experience I agree with this.  I'm sure that there are times and places where this doesn't apply, but generally speaking, I agree. 

One observation I will add regarding the term "aggressive calling".  From my own perspective, I consider that to be mainly adding a good amount of cutting in one's calling sequences,...and from what I have seen, a lot of folks cannot cutt realistically.  Yelp/cutt sequences with realistic cutting, to me, are a real key when using aggressive calling tactics.  In my opinion, get that sound right and a guy will see his success rate in using aggressive calling tactics go way up. Again,...just my opinion based on my personal experience.

kennedyh1990

I've killed more birds with aggressive calling then the soft stuff, however, I don't rely on heavy calling only. I've killed a handful just scratching in the leaves and occasionally clucking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 01, 2020, 09:01:22 AM
Quote from: simpzenith on January 29, 2020, 08:26:54 PM

Again, from my own experience I agree with this.  I'm sure that there are times and places where this doesn't apply, but generally speaking, I agree. 

One observation I will add regarding the term "aggressive calling".  From my own perspective, I consider that to be mainly adding a good amount of cutting in one's calling sequences,...and from what I have seen, a lot of folks cannot cutt realistically.  Yelp/cutt sequences with realistic cutting, to me, are a real key when using aggressive calling tactics.  In my opinion, get that sound right and a guy will see his success rate in using aggressive calling tactics go way up. Again,...just my opinion based on my personal experience.

This tactic has worked for me on small properties and on large highly pressured public land.  There is never always in turkey hunting, but it has worked more often than not.  I mostly hunt small properties where you must call birds across property lines if you want to succeed. 
I cutt aggressively in response to gobbles on the ground to grab their attention.  Once they're obviously moving my way I quiet down and act less interested to coax them closer.  Sometimes leaf scratching is all I do after the cutts start to pull the gobbler my way. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Jfowler82

Give them just enough to keep them coming ! Once you know they are committed and on their way I like to shut up .

Missouri hunter

Since I hunt public land, I try to call less or more than the average guy out there. I always start light, and as much as I like to hear them, I try not to make them gobble more than they would on their own. I stay out of the middle of the road as possible and will get really aggressive if I have one gobbling a lot.
One time I remember killing a bird, the place was crawling with people and with every gobble I would cringe... I had to work this bird for 45 minutes, I was sure someone was going to move in on me, so I tried not to call too much. Then he would start to drift away, then I'd crank it up some, he would drift closer. Did this several times, I finally just kept after him with my calling a bit more and killed him at 18 steps. Old bird too! I've also just clucked a couple times or given one series of yelps and kill them hard hunted public ground birds. Its my favorite thing to call public timber birds.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

idgobble

silvestris

Quote from: warrent423 on January 27, 2020, 10:09:08 AM
You would need to have a Gobbler's ears to be able to hear "my" style of calling.

You can always turn it up, but you cannot unring a bell.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

1iagobblergetter

Depends on the Gobbler,but I probably have a tendency to call louder than needed most the time.

Terry

Quote from: warrent423 on February 04, 2020, 10:02:55 AM
Quote from: silvestris on February 04, 2020, 12:42:59 AM
Quote from: warrent423 on January 27, 2020, 10:09:08 AM
You would need to have a Gobbler's ears to be able to hear "my" style of calling.

You can always turn it up, but you cannot unring a bell.
I'm grateful for all of those who call too much and call to loud, googans and competition callers alike. It is because of them, that I will always have Gobblers to hunt on the public ground I frequent.
A guy who calls more aggressively could say the same thing to a hunter who doesn't. It goes both ways.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk