turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Soft and Slow or Loud and Aggressive?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 26, 2020, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Thought it would be interesting to see a consensus of everyone's hunting style here. What approach do you feel kills more gobblers consistently? Soft calling, yelping every five to ten minutes with soft purrs and clucks, etc. or getting loud and aggressive, calling a bird hard to the gun and cranking on the call? Personally I lean these days more toward softer and more seldom calling, except in certain situations. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

drenalinld

All of the above

3bailey3

start low and slow, pick it up from there! Sometimes though later in the day I like to get loud with a box first.

Happy

For me it depends on the turkeys mood more than anything and location to a smaller extent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

Knowing what to say , when to say it and how to say it. What doesnt work today on a certain bird may work tomorrow. You have to feel the bird out. Does not matter if you start hard and fast or soft and slow , you have to listen to the bird or watch the bird to see what he likes. Sometimes just a strong dose of silence is the best call.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ddturkeyhunter

For me if the birds are pressured (like after first day public in florida) i go quite. I will do a couple clucks and purs ever twenty or thirty minutes watching my watch to make sure of time. And in open country western states loud and wild, has worked best for me.

NC pine chicken

I play to the bird. If he's a loudmouth I'm going to feed it to him. If he barely responds I'm going to slack off. Public or private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tal

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 26, 2020, 07:07:49 PM
Knowing what to say , when to say it and how to say it. What doesnt work today on a certain bird may work tomorrow. You have to feel the bird out. Does not matter if you start hard and fast or soft and slow , you have to listen to the bird or watch the bird to see what he likes. Sometimes just a strong dose of silence is the best call.
What he said.

guesswho

Slow and steady, up and down as needed.  Usually not much is needed.   But some birds prefer the intensity cranked up, just have to figure out which one your dealing with. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Aholdren

Quote from: NC pine chicken on January 26, 2020, 07:24:08 PM
I play to the bird. If he's a loudmouth I'm going to feed it to him. If he barely responds I'm going to slack off. Public or private

Exactly!  I always referred to it as taking their temperature, if they like it I talk to them if they prefer soft and slow I fine them that...   

Bowguy

Quote from: drenalinld on January 26, 2020, 06:36:48 PM
All of the above

I didn't need to read any further. The man hit the nail on the head. Too many variables and the same bird wants dif calling on dif days. It's not one technique thank God

bbcoach

Quote from: tal on January 26, 2020, 07:29:04 PM
What he said.
X3

Greg Massey

X4 .. the above ....

Hobbes

Whichever works, but I probably lean toward too much. :)
However, I hunt different birds than most of you do.  I don't call as much back East.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Happy on January 26, 2020, 06:45:46 PM
For me it depends on the turkeys mood more than anything and location to a smaller extent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

x2
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.