turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4 TSS for Turkey

Started by mtns2hunt, January 24, 2020, 07:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I apologize for ruffing so many feathers. #4 LB works fine for Turkey. So by my reasoning #4 TSS holding the same pattern should do better. Now I understand that #9 TSS is the new kid on the block just as LB was not Long ago. I have to wonder if we will be shooting DU in the near future LOL.

Now, if I choose to use #4 TSS or carry it in my pocket for possible use during Turkey season that is solely my business and is entirely legal in my state. I hunt Turkey's a lot and have great respect for them. I am also an avid Predator hunter having harvested many of the great predators in  the US and Canada. I am looking for a load that will cleanly harvest a Turkey or Coyote. #9 TSS is very effective and may be great out to 40 yards or farther. My comfort range with #9 is forty yards as I have only patterned out to fifty with good results. #4 will pattern very well from 20 to 60 yards and I would feel more comfortable with #4 at sixty than #9. Clearly many on here have killed Coyotes with #9 because that is what they had in their shotgun at the time. My original question was designed to elicit responses as to how effective #4 TSS can be on Turkey's in their experience. Clearly no one appears to have this information.

Later, after Bobcat season ends I will pattern both #9's and #4 TSS at different ranges to determine exactly what ranges are effective for #9 and #4. I had hoped to eliminate some of this from forum members information. I will be testing different chokes and the different loads to see what works best.

I think it is appropriate to limit some of the information I provide on a public forum as to not adversely affect new or inexperienced members.

I also realize this is a Turkey forum and have learned a great deal from members on this forum. But that should not prevent any member from asking questions that may bleed over into other disciplines.

"TSS has the ability to kill a Turkey at stupid distances." Not to be personal but that has to be one of the most "moronic" statements I have ever heard. What in the world is a stupid distance? It shows total disrespect for the game and ignorance of the performance of one's shotgun, load and choke.

I never intended for this topic to become a debate. In the past my questions have been answered quickly and accurately with no arguments or bickering. When I have finished my patterning and testing I will return to this topic and post my findings. 

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

deadbuck

If my gun would shoot a pattern like Yukon C posted at 100 yards with TSS 4's, I would sell all my other guns and just use it for everything including deer! Am curious to know if that gun will do that every time or if that was the best of multiple shots fired at that distance. I watched my son shoot two turkeys with 12 ga 3 inch TSS 4 shot  I handloaded last year and it does to a turkey exactly what you would think it does to a turkey. He carries them in his vest for the occasional shot opportunity at hogs but had run low on shells from missing a bird earlier in the day and used them because that was all he had left before returning to truck to get more TSS 8.

YukonC

Quote from: deadbuck on January 28, 2020, 12:08:12 PM
If my gun would shoot a pattern like Yukon C posted at 100 yards with TSS 4's, I would sell all my other guns and just use it for everything including deer! Am curious to know if that gun will do that every time or if that was the best of multiple shots fired at that distance. I watched my son shoot two turkeys with 12 ga 3 inch TSS 4 shot  I handloaded last year and it does to a turkey exactly what you would think it does to a turkey. He carries them in his vest for the occasional shot opportunity at hogs but had run low on shells from missing a bird earlier in the day and used them because that was all he had left before returning to truck to get more TSS 8.
That was one shot at 100yrds at the end of my shooting session for sighting in my Burris fast fire and testing the new choke. I had shot 14 3 1/2" shells at 41yrds up to that point so I was smoked to say the least. I had zero faith in seeing any holes in even the entire green poster board when I drove down to the target but I was shocked. I will eventually try it again but not for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roverboy

I agree with mtns2hunt, you don't need TSS. I can kill birds all day long at 40 yards with #4 and #5 Longbeards.
Listen for the gobble