News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Military surplus mines and Turkeys?

Started by LaLongbeard, January 26, 2020, 09:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 27, 2020, 06:14:50 PM
What you need is couple bundles of survey stakes and bunch of red solo cups nailed one on top of all the mines and then you would have the Funky Chicken dance land mines ... don't nail the cup all the way so you can create movement among the mines .... :fud: :fud: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Great idea! Those red solo cups swaying gently in the breeze will sure get a tom's curiosity up!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

NCL

Since your initial question was about detonation, rig the mine to your cell phone which will provide you with a couple of added benefits. First, you can film the entire sequence of events with your phone which you can post on You Tube. Second, the hen, jake, turkey only has to be in the proximity of the mine because you control when it goes off. There is probably an app that will help you with this endeavor.

Magdump

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 26, 2020, 09:58:15 PM
. . .  I have recently found a source for some Russian military surplus anti-personnel mines and was trying to come up with a way to use them. . . .  If anyone has any knowledge about remote detonation of Russian surplus mines, let me know. 

I am afraid this plan will probably not be feasible.  But maybe. 

Russian surplus mines constitute destructive devices under the National Firearms Act of 1934 and NFA firearms, like these mines, can only be imported for sale to an appropriate governmental entity.

So with that ruled out, your next potential option is to buy a domestically manufactured mine.  Problem is, due to liability concerns, no manufacturer or dealer will be willing to sell you one.

This leaves you with only one option.  Make your own.

Problem is, to lawfully make your own means you will need to hold a federal explosives license.  This would cover your lawful possession of the energetic content itself but there is yet another hurdle... applying for permission from ATF to make a destructive device.  The ATF Form 1 process will require you to pay $200 and include fingerprints and passport photos with the application.

Once approved (taking 8-10 months lately) you could make your mine but would have to permanently mark it with your name, city, state, model (if known) and serial #.  Unless you get a marking variance from ATF.  In such cases they will allow (via variance) stencilling, sticker, etc. where engraving/stamping the required maker's info. would be dangerous or impractical.  Will take a couple months to get the marking variance.

Then, lets assume you do get your Form 1 approved and you do get your federal explosives license (and the required explosives storage magazine!), you would not be able to transport your mine over public roads without the necessary DOT red tape being complied with (EX #, DOT approved packaging, vehicle placarding and enhanced insurance requirements, etc.)  You would need to get hazmat shipper trained as well in furtherance of such hazmat transport.

Finally, state hunting laws may well frown upon this take method as well.

So, at the end of the day, are the many upsides of using a mine to harvest a gobbler worth all the red tape and expense?  Probably.