OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scope vs red dot

Started by Ahollon3, January 16, 2020, 11:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahollon3

What is the pros and cons for each? Thought bout going with a red dot but also on the fence bout a scope. Thanks.

1iagobblergetter

I'd say personal preference. I'm more old school and like my nikon turkey pros.
I can also see why guys like red dots. My son uses a ff2 and while target shooting i could see why he liked it.

diyj98

To me the pro of a reflex type red dot is the lack of any magnification and it's easier (for most) to use on moving targets. With a tube type red dot, I don't see any advantages other than perhaps in very low light.  The only pro for me with a traditional scope is no worries about bad batteries or electronics going bad. But I agree it's more personal preference than anything.  I've only came around to red dots in the past couple years.

MK M GOBL

Can't give you the best "vs" I have only used a red dot once and it failed me... borrowed a gun from a buddy to use on a hunt and he had a red dot on it, now was probably my fault as I had turned it off and on a few time and either I left it on or the batteries were dead or dying. Either way at the point of kill I put the gun up with a buddy on bird #2 and I missed big time, when I went to put the dot on the bird and no dot I could see the bead at the end of barrel put that on the neck and sure did miss him, buddy killed #2 and the game was over... After getting back home I tried to recreate the scenario and shot at a paper target... I was feet over that birds head.

Been using my scope for better than 20 years without fail, the pros first is which I call "The Circle of Death" get that birds wattles in that circle and he's dead. The second part is the circle will give you an "Under 40" range shot, it is calibrated this way. 3rd for me is because I mentor a lot of turkey hunters it helps them with making the shot, easy to explain and easy for shooter to learn.

I have some rock solid rings and bases, never an issue there either.

MK M GOBL

howl

Weight,  bulk, mounting height... Unless you feel you need magnification, the scopes just don't offer anything over the dots.

CrustyRusty

Eye relief, little parallax, both eyes open, lightweight, head positioning not as important are some pros.  The only downside for a red dot for me like others have said are battery issues.  If you can find a red dot with an etched reticle that would be ideal.  Vortex used to make one but I don't know if it's still available.

deadbuck

I have tried every optic available and I like a regular cross hair scope the best.

fmf

i used to swear by a scope, but now with some red dots having 50,000 to 100,000 hour battery life, I don't think I'd go back to one.  even if I needed magnification I would probably go with a 3x vortex spitfire over a traditional scope.  what do red dots offer over scopes?

weight, size, multiple reticle choices,  no scope eye, no need to shop for extended eye relief models, arguably faster target acquisition, no magnification and no parallax mens worry free shooting at odd angles, worry free battery life...leave it on all the time and replace the battery once a year.

scope advantages over a red dot?  magnification but that may not jot be an advantage, no batteries but with todays red dot battery life this is a non issue.  no electronics? thats about the only true advantage for a scope

fmf

Quote from: CrustyRusty on January 18, 2020, 02:03:42 PM
Eye relief, little parallax, both eyes open, lightweight, head positioning not as important are some pros.  The only downside for a red dot for me like others have said are battery issues.  If you can find a red dot with an etched reticle that would be ideal.  Vortex used to make one but I don't know if it's still available.

thats the vortex spitfire.  they still offer a 1x and 3x spitfire.  I own a 1x and love it.  it has been a great optic and i've had it on my 12ga for at least 6 years now.  The etched reticle can be seen enough to be used with no batteries or your electronics die. i may like my holosun reflex type sight on my 20ga more, but its hard to say.  kind of a toss up.