OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shortest shot ever?

Started by IowaNate, May 07, 2011, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

In Maine last year, I shot one at 10 yards and one at 11 yards.  Those were close.  However the closest was shot at 7 yard with a Parker 12 gauge made in 1900.  I missed that bird at 11 yards and killed him at 7 yards.  ;D

trkehunr93

About 10yrds. while hunting in NC this year.

NYbassman

Quote from: poorcountrypreacher on May 10, 2011, 05:19:58 PM
If a turkey gets inside of 30 yards on me, it is due to an error in my setup. I have lost several turkeys over 47 years of hunting them and nearly every time it was due to the turkey getting too close and seeing me, then me shooting at them running or flying. I try to have the discipline to just let him go now if that happens, but it is hard to do once you commit yourself to shoot. Give me a standing turkey at 40 yards any day over one at 15 yds.

That is one of the problems with the new craze over the tightest patterns,chokes,etc.. To me, there is nothing like a big gobbler at less than 10 yards, it just gets the heart pounding like nothing else. It is a shame that people are setting up to AVOID that close bird. Talk about heart pounding. JMO, and definitely not a dig on you preacher, it is just the nature of the beast with the new choke/ammo technologies. Which is why I would rather a gun set-up that is good to 40 or so and still decent at really tight ranges, than one that will pattern at 60 and is the size of a nickel at those close ranges.

jfair

I get a much bigger thrill when a bird is at 30 vs. 60 yards.  No comparison.  I will play around with them if I can tell they are not too nervous.  This is the fun part of turkey hunting to me.  After the shot, it's just a dead bird.   Each of us takes what we want from hunting, so I'm not judging.  If a bird is past 45 yards, he's walking away.  I'll get him next time.  That being said, he is not gonna get inside of 20 if I can help it.  That's just asking for trouble.

hoyt

This Osceola in Greenswamp East, Fl. WMA. He popped out of the thick stuff staring at me at about 5yds. I had no choice but to move on him in a deliberate, smooth, move and pull the trigger. Actually think I missed him and he flew up on a 45degree angle and I killed him on that shot.

otis

youth hunt   6 yards

otis