turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shortest shot ever?

Started by IowaNate, May 07, 2011, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

I was hunting this year with another member on the forum, He shot his jake at 7 or 8 feet. His pattern hit low for what ever reason, I think if it would have hit the birds head it would have taken it off LOL.

Deputy 14

Bout 15 yards. Not sure I would want to shoot any closer. Pretty messed up noggin on that bird.

Longshanks

Quote from: 30_06 on May 07, 2011, 10:14:09 PM
Roughly 5 inches or so from the end of the gun barrel.
It walked in from behind on my left side (I'm left handed), and stopped smack dab in front of the barrel....serious damage.

5 inches?? Are you serious....looks like turkey hunters can shorten the truth as well as fisherman can stretch the truth.  :TooFunny:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Crappiepro on May 08, 2011, 11:14:52 AM
I was hunting this year with another member on the forum, He shot his jake at 7 or 8 feet. His pattern hit low for what ever reason, I think if it would have hit the birds head it would have taken it off LOL.

If he had a sight on his shotgun, and has it sighted to hit POA at say 40 yards, it will shoot low, usually a couple inches from where he aimed as the dot/crosshairs can be as high as 2 inches above the muzzle. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: I hate turkeys on May 07, 2011, 11:16:05 PM
Had a friend shoot one I was calling at my feet. Said he thought it was going to step on me.

That sound really unsafe!!  I just had a "friend" shoot past me from left to right at a bird thatwas on my extreme right and I heard the shot go by me!  actually shooting a bird that close to another hunter is down right dangerous and stupid!

Longshanks

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on May 08, 2011, 12:38:04 PM
Had a friend shoot one I was calling at my feet. Said he thought it was going to step on me.

That sound really unsafe!!  I just had a "friend" shoot past me from left to right at a bird thatwas on my extreme right and I heard the shot go by me!  actually shooting a bird that close to another hunter is down right dangerous and stupid!

Im with you..anyone who shot at my feet would no longer be hunting with me.

30_06

Quote from: Longshanks on May 08, 2011, 11:34:53 AM
Quote from: 30_06 on May 07, 2011, 10:14:09 PM
Roughly 5 inches or so from the end of the gun barrel.
It walked in from behind on my left side (I'm left handed), and stopped smack dab in front of the barrel....serious damage.

5 inches?? Are you serious....looks like turkey hunters can shorten the truth as well as fisherman can stretch the truth.  :TooFunny:

I guess you dont have to believe it, its not really that great of an accomplishment. Its still a little more than four feet from me.....I know tons of people that have had an animal that close.

Ozark Ridge Runner

About 6 feet......with a SP-10.  Kinda ugly.

bigwayne17

this one was about 7 yards....

Get you a warbird turkey call and you can get them that close too

mightyjoeyoung

NICE!!! :z-guntootsmiley:  I just GOTTA find that pic of my "eraser head" bird!!

mcgruff1533

I hate turkeys

Quote from: Longshanks on May 08, 2011, 01:51:09 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on May 08, 2011, 12:38:04 PM

That sound really unsafe!!  I just had a "friend" shoot past me from left to right at a bird thatwas on my extreme right and I heard the shot go by me!  actually shooting a bird that close to another hunter is down right dangerous and stupid!

Im with you..anyone who shot at my feet would no longer be hunting with me.

Should have stated he was sitting beside me (same tree).

"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

drenalinld

Longshanks

HogBiologist

Had one coming in straight to me.  I said I was gonna let him come as close as he would.  At 20 yards I said....."That is close enough"  He did a flip.  Any closer and the shot might not have been out of the FC wad yet.
Certified Wildlife Biologist