turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shortest shot ever?

Started by IowaNate, May 07, 2011, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaNate

I've seen that the "longest shot" thread was getting alot of hits, but let's see how close we have all gotten our birds. Getting a gobbler close is good ethics at it's best, and usually makes for a heart pounding hunt when you can see his eyes blinking at you or your decoys.
My shortest distance turkey was about 15 yards...at that distance it really didn't matter what I took him with, but it was an 870 12 gauge with a Rem extra-full choke and Winchester Supreme 3" 1-3/4 oz of #4's. That shot "killed on both ends" if you know what I mean  :o
Lead shooter for life! Know your gun, know your shell, pattern multiple times, know your effective distance, and practice the calls...and the Pb #4's will put 'em down everytime!

njdevilsb

I took one at roughly 7 yards.  We had our decoys set off to my right and I was on a field edge, and he came up the very edge of the field right across in front of me from the left.  His head was only held on by a small piece of skin.

BrowningGuy88

Killed one 7 FEET from me one morning. Flew down right on top of me and went into strut looking away from me. One cluck and a shot in the back, he was flopping.

Remington 870 20 gauge
Remington X-full
Remington or Winchester #5's

jfair

7 steps.  Circled behind me.  I never moved the gun, as he was nice enough to walk into my scope.  I don't like these shots anymore than the long ones.  Looking back on it, I should have let him walk away a little bit before the shot.  It wasn't pretty.

WiLL B

Three feet from end of gun barrel !

Longshanks

5 steps in a full strut coming right at me.. Felt like self defense...Turkey had a 13.5 in beard and 1.25 in spurs.  Shot him right above the beard and shot some of the beard out..longest beard turkey i have ever killed. Watched the turkey the day before pitch out on this narrow ridge and the next morning i was sitting there.  Couple of clucks and a tree yelp and he landed in the same place on the ridge and headed in the same direction as the day before.  Nice when a plan comes together.

outlaw

10 yards thjs year with a20 gauge :pow-mia:
Im a good guy !!!

drakekilla12

my dad killed one right about he was to attack the decoy while my buddy was in front of it.  10 yrds ish range.  blew his head off!!   10.5 in beard 1 1/4 hook daddy spurs

mightyjoeyoung

Closest for me was with my 835 and 3/2/6's at about 5 yards.  ERASED THAT BIRD'S FACE!!  Got the picture somewhere.  I'll have to dig it up and get it scanned.  Next closest with the same gun/load.  Took a kid hunting and he shot a big jake at about 7 yards...watched the wad smack into his head.  It was cold and damp and snowing huge wet flakes and at the shot there was this big pink mist cloud that hung in the air for a few seconds.  It was soooo cool to get to be able to see it as it happened!  Thin piece of skin was the only thing holding his head on.  It was like somebody set a grenade of in the birds neck!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

longspur

4 steps. first bird and biggest to date

AndyH

ncturkey

neal

2 yards not a pretty scene!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

30_06

Roughly 5 inches or so from the end of the gun barrel.
It walked in from behind on my left side (I'm left handed), and stopped smack dab in front of the barrel....serious damage.

I hate turkeys

Had a friend shoot one I was calling at my feet. Said he thought it was going to step on me.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith