OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 3/4 shells

Started by John D., May 07, 2011, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John D.

I have a 870 with 2 3/4 chamber and was wondering if it would be good out to 45-50 yrds?all I've heard about is 3"and 3 1/2" shooting turkeys.

Hognutz

With the right shell/choke combination, it can be. That is getting to be a long shot with any gun. Pattern it and make sure you know what you have at that range. The shot grouping will tell the story. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TrkyHntr

With the right choke used with winchester xrhd 2 3/4" 1 1/2oz #6's. That gun can be a 45-50yd gun easy.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

savduck

I used to shoot some winchester #4 2 3/4 lead in a beretta 390 with CNC XX full. It killed out to 50 yards quite a few times.
Georgia Boy

John D.

man thats good to hear,thought I was going to have to buy another gun .

IowaNate

My 870 shot decent patterns out to 40 yards with the Rem super-full choke using either a Remington or Winchester 1-1/2 oz of lead #6's. For me, 40 yards is a long shot with any load, and 45-50 yards may as well be a mile for me. I am willing to bet that most turkeys are taken within 35 yards anyhow...it's definately the case for me! Work on your calling and hunting techniques and you will never have to take a shot beyond 40 yards  :anim_25:
Lead shooter for life! Know your gun, know your shell, pattern multiple times, know your effective distance, and practice the calls...and the Pb #4's will put 'em down everytime!

jfair

Quote from: IowaNate on May 07, 2011, 12:43:16 PM
My 870 shot decent patterns out to 40 yards with the Rem super-full choke using either a Remington or Winchester 1-1/2 oz of lead #6's. For me, 40 yards is a long shot with any load, and 45-50 yards may as well be a mile for me. I am willing to bet that most turkeys are taken within 35 yards anyhow...it's definately the case for me! Work on your calling and hunting techniques and you will never have to take a shot beyond 40 yards  :anim_25:
:agreed:

You will kill a bird a 40-50 yards sometimes with a shell that has 10 pellets in it.  The question only you can answer is - Are you willing to wound some birds in the process?  Shoot whatever load you want, and at the range when you get less than 100 pellets in a 10" circle, it is too far.  I am comfortable with 100 pellets, and very confident with 150 pellets.  For my 3.5 inch loads in lead 6's, 150 pellets is 30-35 yards.  For hevi this is 40-45 yards.  This is at the range, not in the woods.  Things go wrong when hunting.  I can still have a fun season without shooting a bird.  If I wound one, my season is ruined.

SumToy

Think about this. The 20ga guys shoot 11/4 to 11/2 oz loads and kill at 40 so more then 40.  Now the 23/4 12ga will have bigger pay load then the 20ga.  So I think you will be fine. Go with some of the HTL stuff.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

jfair

Quote from: SumToy on May 07, 2011, 03:36:25 PM
Think about this. The 20ga guys shoot 11/4 to 11/2 oz loads and kill at 40 so more then 40.  Now the 23/4 12ga will have bigger pay load then the 20ga.  So I think you will be fine. Go with some of the HTL stuff.

I think most of the 20 gauge guys are shooting TSS to 40 yards.  Pattern holds well, with many more pellets.  Lead is a different story.  I believe John D. is new to turkey hunting and is looking for some sound advice.  With little experience and a payload on the smaller end of things,  40+ yards is not a good idea.  Can you even buy a good hevi shot for turkey in 2.75 inch shells?

SumToy

The 20ga guys shoot the fed and hv-13 stuff.   Now I have a friend that got some HTL stuff for his mom. I don't know what it was but will check. He got it so it not kick her. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BHMTitan

Quote from: jfair on May 07, 2011, 03:47:25 PMCan you even buy a good hevi shot for turkey in 2.75 inch shells?
Yes, the Hevi-13 #6 is available in 2-3/4".  I got one this year at 45 yards using that load out of a 12g Browning A5.  I average 160 in 10" at 40 yards.  I normally don't shoot that far either, but had two strutters that had come as close as they were going to; they were turning to head back to their hens in a green field.

Skeeterbait

My wife shoots 2 3/4 Winchester XRHD #6 out of a Mossberg 500 with Indian Creek .660 choke.  It patterns 202 in 10" at 30 yards and 120 at 40 yards.  It will reach 40 but I would not push it any further.

stinkpickle

Nitro makes the H258 which is a 2 3/4" 1 5/8oz load that can be had in straight #7's.  It should be decent.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI have a 870 with 2 3/4 chamber

Someone should have asked John D. this question:

Does it have a Fixed Full Choke, Fixed Modified Choke, or Screw-In chokes?

Full 35 Yards
Mod 30 Yards
Screw-In 40-45 Yards

surehuntsalot

killed a many a bird with 2-3/4" 1-5/8oz Winchester #5's back in the day
it's not the harvest,it's the chase