turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Leaving the 12 GA

Started by Rick, December 10, 2019, 08:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchadw

i switched to a 20ga last year.  i have a SBE3 12ga with pistol grip that is a great gun but it kicks like a mule.
i went with a o/u 20ga and TSS 9s in one barrel.  Makes a big difference

Another thing that might help you is i use a trijicon with a triangle at dot.  one i can see it better and 2 the kick or slap is reduced on face/head because i can pull my face up from the stock and shoot

Rick

wchadw , i will look into the trijicon with a triangle at dot . Thanks for all the advice. Keep the posts coming . Nice to see what all the 20 ga shooters are shooting.
Saved By Grace

wchadw

Quote from: Rick on December 10, 2019, 03:51:43 PM
wchadw , i will look into the trijicon with a triangle at dot . Thanks for all the advice. Keep the posts coming . Nice to see what all the 20 ga shooters are shooting.

any red dot type sight that is "parallax free" would work.  you can move your head off the stock and the dot should stay on target

nyhunter

Went deer hunting this past weekend and came home with a turkey gun, "best deer hunt all season"   I got a barley used "shot 4 times" 870 youth compact completely camo with a tru glo turkey choke for $250.00 .  this will make my 3rd dedicated 20ga turkey gun.  I have several 12ga turkey guns in the gun cabinet but I havent used them in a few years , I just love the light weight, low recoil 20ga, here in NY 9's are not legal i have a bunch of Fed,HW #7's so thats what i'm shooting outta all my 20ga guns. with a Sum Toy .562.   

varmint101

Sucks about your eye troubles. I'm lovin using my 20. Took my old 870 youth and put a hogue stock set on it and a Bass pro choke on it. Sure is a joy to carry around and shoot.  By the way, I've been using the federal heavyweights they quit making last year. Worked the best out of that choke with the rounds I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

best choice I have ever made for turkey hunting, you will love it!

Rick

Thanks , Im looking forward to patterning the gun and hunting with it ....
Saved By Grace

Boykin Hollow

I made the switch 3 years ago and will never go back.  I now have two 20 gauge turkey guns and one 410.  I load my own 20's in tss 9's and purchase the 410's from apex.  Got the 410 late in the season last year so hopefully it will see some use this spring.  I have burris fastfires on all of my designated turkey guns.

nativeks

Go to a gas operated 20 ga semi auto. My 390 20 ga is an exceptionally soft shooter with a limbsaver pad.

Magdump

I have had four detached retinas!  As a result, I try to use the smallest shotgun i can and have found that TSS and a .410 is all you need.  20 gauge seems to me big time overkill that still pounds you pretty hard, especially if not in a gas gun.

Turkeytider

Absolutely do not blame anyone for making that switch. The only way I`d be able to keep shooting my 870 Super Mag 12 was by taming it down with a slip on Limbsaver and a custom padded T-shirt under my camo. I only shoot 3" shells also. Those accommodations make it OK. Since it`s certainly not high volume shooting, I think I`ll just stick with it. It`s a good gun, built like a tank. If I was younger, though,  and had more years to hunt, I think a 20 for turkey would definitely be a project upon which I would embark! 

ShootingABN!

Sorry to hear about the eyes.

So if you want to go to a 20. I suggest a semi auto, a good after market recoil pad like limbsaver. Should make it way softer.

Good luck.

Rick

Quote from: Magdump on December 13, 2019, 09:47:14 PM
I have had four detached retinas!  As a result, I try to use the smallest shotgun i can and have found that TSS and a .410 is all you need.  20 gauge seems to me big time overkill that still pounds you pretty hard, especially if not in a gas gun.

Four ,  I feel for you Brother .   Good luck
Saved By Grace

Rick

Quote from: ShootingABN! on December 14, 2019, 10:54:49 AM
Sorry to hear about the eyes.

So if you want to go to a 20. I suggest a semi auto, a good after market recoil pad like limbsaver. Should make it way softer.

Good luck.

Thanks man !!!
I have already ordered a pump , but thinking of getting a semi too . Two is better than one !!!
Saved By Grace

varmint101

That's right! One is none two is one! Second the limb saver pad. Have one on my beretta 12. Man what a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk