OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New call maker introduction

Started by Weathered-Branch, November 27, 2019, 06:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weathered-Branch

Hi guys, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself
   My name is Aaron and my fledgling business is Weathered Branch. I am a new call maker, I got my first experience on a wood lathe when I ordered mine this past January and started making calls in April.
   Please don't let my lack of experience fool you though, I am very good with my hands and have one h*** of a teacher, Darrell Gibson of Gibson Custom Calls
   I call Darrell uncle but technically he is my cousin. He has been extremely kind to me, putting me up for a few days at a time (I live 4 hours from him) and passing on a lot of knowledge. So far he has taught me how he makes his turkey yelpers and slate calls, crow, owl, buck grunt calls and giving advice on tuning my own deer and duck calls.
   So without further ado here are a couple of pics of ones I've made on my own so far, please tell me what you think and please be honest. I can only get better by recognizing my flaws
Don't underestimate how smart I can be, but don't underestimate how dumb I can be either...

Weathered-Branch

Ok there is gonna be a bit of a delay, the photos on my iPad are too large so I need to do some editing first....
Don't underestimate how smart I can be, but don't underestimate how dumb I can be either...

Weathered-Branch

Flame maple with phenolic mouthpiece and Birdseye maple with phenolic

Weathered-Branch

Birdseye slate, Gibson style no soundboard with higher tone towards the rim, deeper tone towards the middle. 3 1/4 slate

Weathered-Branch

Cherry burl crow call, oak burl crow, black and white ebony with phenolic mouthpiece turkey yelper. All propped up by the Birdseye yelper from further up the post

MDTOM84

They look great! I really like the look of the slate pot! Great job!

Weathered-Branch

Thank you! I finally sold my first two calls this past weekend, a crow made from Patagonian rosewood and a yelper from reclaimed and stabilized black locust. I really wish I had taken pics of that yelper, I really liked that call...

Darrell gosey, ncbowjunkie, has seen, heard and played a few of my calls, he can give some input as to sound quality. Be honest Darrell!

Is there a way to upload sound bites here so people can hear them?

Weathered-Branch

Some more slates, curly purpleheart (I really like the sound from that one, but that's my opinion) top right, BLM burl bottom center. The rest are crotch figure walnut

JLH

Welcome!
Nice looking work for sure!!

outdoors

Can ya post a sound clip of the pots
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Weathered-Branch

3bailey3

very nice, I see your symbol but cant tell what it is

Weathered-Branch

My last name is branch, I translated that into Scottish Gaelic (I have that and others in my family tree) And then used an old Gaelic alphabet called ogham to write it out. Turned out quite simple to do with a cheap wood burner, is a great conversation starter since it's unusual, and is fairly ironic. The "letters" are based on how the branches grow on different trees...

Greg Massey

Sir-diealot

Welcome and good luck in your endeavors.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."