turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite vest?

Started by tteel, November 21, 2019, 12:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Can anyone explain why the Ol Tom best are so pricey. They seem like a really basic design.  Is there stuff pretty high quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverRoost

No love for the Nomad vests? Never used one but really like the layout of it

bigriverbum

Quote from: aclawrence on February 02, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
Can anyone explain why the Ol Tom best are so pricey. They seem like a really basic design.  Is there stuff pretty high quality?

i have a half dozen assorted clothing items from drake(mostly duck hunting stuff) and i've found it all to be very nice quality.  i never pay full price though. just keep an eye out year round and buy it on sale. just picked up their turkey pants and vestless shirt for 40% off

i bet their vests are pretty darn nice

rifleman

Doesn't help with your question but I've had a couple vests and they were fine.  I switched to the Brossie bag and only use it now.  The vests went into the church yard sale about 5-6 years ago..

aclawrence

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 02, 2020, 10:59:47 PM
No love for the Nomad vests? Never used one but really like the layout of it
I picked one up last year after the season was over. It hasn't made it to the woods yet but I think I'm going to like it. The only thing I don't like as much is the double pot call pouch on the front. It's sticks out a little more than I like. I've thought about taking it off.

Elmerfudd

I switched to the Nomad last year. Very pleased with it so far. Thermocell pocket is great and a must where I hunt in both Florida and WV. I really like the pot call pockets and the volume of storage/weight of the vest ratio. Seat is great and stays up nicely. Also a very quiet vest to work in the field - pockets etc dont have loud zippers, snaps etc.

kennedyh1990

I've got the Alps Outdoors grand slam vest. I took the frame out and modified the seat so that it flips up and down like the tactical tat'r. After making that modification it is the best vest I've ever ran imo!

Spitten and drummen

Has been a nomad the last few years. I just picked up Glenda's satchel. Will be using it this year to see how I like it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

jamo7481

Cut N Run

Love my Limbhanger & wish I had another.  I got a Nomad last year and haven't needed it yet. 

I have a Spartan Realtree vest with button close pockets and the most next to nothing butt pad that I quit using 20 some years ago.  It was one of the best things I'd ever seen when I first got it. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Marc

I feel like giving vest recommendations is similar to giving ice cream flavor recommendations.  We all have personal preferences based on our own situations.

I went with the Cabela's Tat'r...  Great vest for me, for a number of reasons.

It has proven to be durable.
It is well-organized, and I can get into what I need easily (once I can remember which pockets I put everything in).
The seat is comfortable, easy to use, and easy to remove, and keeps my azz dry (I often remove mine later in the morning when the ground is no longer wet, and when I am going to cover a lot of ground).
It is one of the few vests that fit a smaller, and slimmer person.  All the other vests I tried fit me like a dress.

I often have long walks back to the vehicle, and for me, a vest is the easiest and most comfortable way to carry a bird out a long distance (I have tried totes, and over-the-shoulder, and much prefer a game vest for long arduous walks out).  I did previously experiment with other (non-turkey) game vests and a backpack...  If a turkey does fit in the game bag, it is a difficult and tight fit, and takes some effort to get the bird in and out of (i.e. a turkey vest generally has a much larger and more easily accessible game bag for turkeys). 

I also did not like to have to deal with taking off and situating my backpack, especially if I was rushed (i.e. unexpected answer a lot closer than I thought).  Although a good tactical backpack can fit more gear, more easily balanced....  That is until you have a turkey to carry out in the game back with a backpack over the top of it.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Timmer

I owned several vests before getting the Cabela's Tactical Tat'r 2.  I LOVE it.  It's the only vest for me.  It's lasted a very long time.  I'm worried that Cabela's won't keep producing it under Bass Pro ownership.  Right now the standard vest is only only out there in True Timber and the Kickstand is out there in HTC Green.  Mine is the standard version in Obsession.  If that one comes out, I'm going to snatch it up as a future spare. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

RailRoader

What kind of vest does chubbs wear on the Pinhoti Project? It looks like it has claw slings for straps.

paboxcall

Quote from: RailRoader on February 17, 2020, 09:19:29 PM
What kind of vest does chubbs wear on the Pinhoti Project? It looks like it has claw slings for straps.

Believe both his and Dave's were heavily modified, they added the claw slings for straps.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Upfold99

Chubbs has been running a Dixon.

Dave was using a grandslam, but last year it looked to be a ol'tom vest with claw sling mod.

I just bought a grand slam at nwtf. Dont know that I love it yet. I wish someone would let me design them one. I keep using my old super elite 3.

I like the pocket setup, but it gets hot. Used  an RNG and liked the seat but not enough pockets. I guess as long as we can find the perfect vest, we will keep buying.

I expected new vest designs this year but have not found any. Guess Ill just keep sewing and modifying.