turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

barrel length

Started by John D., May 06, 2011, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John D.

new to trukey hunting,what is the right barrel length,for shooting hevi-shot13 #7?

stinkpickle

SumToy

Barrel length will not have a lot to do with what you shoot.  Get the choke/bore/length combo they all will shoot.  You may see a few shot up or down but most the time not a lot.  If you going to buy new gun I like the 26 inch.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

John D.

thanks ,just didn't know if short or long  would be better

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

goblr77

grousec

I currently own the shortest barrel gun I have ever owned (22") and like it better than any gun I've ever turkey hunted with.  Shorter barrels are lighter easier to swing in the woods and will drop turkey further than one ought to be shooting!  So I would not buy one with a barrel over 24".

Skeeterbait

With modern ammunition velocity difference is there, but is negligible.  If shooting fiber optic sights or single bead a longer barrel will give a longer sight plane and improve accuracy.  If shooting some form of optic it won't matter.  Shorter barrels are easier to get around in the woods with without getting hung up in vines, swinging into saplings etc.  Longer barrels give a little better recoil rise control.  Some say a longer barrel is easier to find a good patterning combination.  I haven't personally found that to be the case.  Those are your considerations.  Up to you to weigh those and pick what works best for you.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: goblr77 on May 06, 2011, 03:41:05 PM
Quote from: WyoHunter on May 06, 2011, 03:15:38 PM
I'd buy the 26 inch.

I would too.

:agreed:  The 26" bbl is about the best combo of length and weight and should be fairly forgiving when setting up a load/choke combo.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

I have a 24" barrel on my 835
and a 21" barrel on my 20ga 870 youth
I love the short barrels in the woods,but the turkeys don't like them much
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

John D.

thank's again,I talked to a friend , and he tends too lean for shorter.

gobbler74

With the shells advanced to current standards..no need for goose gun barrels any more. Awesome patterns come from even the shorter barrels..I've seen no advantage of pattern for the turkey woods over 24"
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Hognutz

Quote from: gobbler74 on May 07, 2011, 11:46:32 AM
With the shells advanced to current standards..no need for goose gun barrels any more. Awesome patterns come from even the shorter barrels..I've seen no advantage of pattern for the turkey woods over 24"

I agree. The days of the ''Long Tom'' barrels are gone. A 24'' bbl will do you proud, anytime.  :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

mightyjoeyoung

Ha ha ha!  I still have an old H&R "Long Tom" single shot that was lengthened from 2 3/4" to 3".  Don't shoot 3's out of her but man does she ever throw a deadly pattern with Fed Premium 1 5/8 ounce #5 pb loads!! (the old, non-flight control versions)
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.