OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What shooting rest for sighting in rifle?

Started by gatrapper, October 11, 2019, 03:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

I have been looking at purchasing a shooting rest for sighting in the rifles.  I'm looking for something that will lock the gun in place and reduce recoil.

I have been looking at the Caldwell rests, but I have read a bunch of pro's and con's and I can't decide. 

What do y'all recommend?
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Greg Massey

I have one of the Primos brand and friend of mine has the Caldwell Lead sled and we both like Caldwell better .. agree both have pro ans con's .... in using either one , one of most important, in my opinion is the table your using to steady your rest on, good table rest makes a day of shooting lot more fun....

dirt road ninja

I've got a lead sled and bought it mainly for load/choke testing, but works well with rifles.

Yoteduster

The Caldwell leadsled works really well and if you can use it on a solid bench you can't go wrong

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Wigsplitter

captpete

I also have a Caldwell lead sled. Like mentioned above I use it manly for turkey loads & choke tubes. I also use for checking the zero on the muzzleloader and .22 rifle.  I don't use any weight on it and it still reduces the recoil down to almost zero.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Greg Massey

Quote from: gatrapper on October 12, 2019, 06:21:58 PM
What model lead sled?
Caldwell lead sled 3 , the one we have is the older model of this one ....

1iagobblergetter

I have a couple of Caldwell lead sleds. I like using the cheap,simple one of the two. It doesn't take anything fancy imo.

Yoder409

I use a Rock Rest up front and an owl-ear bag in back.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

wvmntnhick

Knowing you're looking for something to lock the gun into, this will be useless. I've come to rely on a bipod and a sandbag on the rear. Always use a bipod in the field if given the chance. Not so much when stalking but certainly when hunting the fields. Plus, if I can't handle the recoil while sighting it in, I don't need to be hunting with it. Some guns I fire a couple of times and just put them to the side. Realize quickly that they're just not what I want to be dealing with when the trigger is pulled. Just my opinion though and there are certainly plenty of guys that handle recoil better than myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad

Bipod on front and eared bag on rear for rifles. Lead sleds are hard on optics. Beware