OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using Teakwood for pot calls / chestnut for strikers

Started by Cool Ridge Clucker, October 25, 2019, 09:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Ridge Clucker

Hello guys.  I'm new on this site and relatively new to pot turning.  I had a question and wanted to get your opinion on something.  I'm starting out with simple pot design and turning but wanted to get to the point where I could take on a particular sentimental project.

I have a slab of white teakwood that was part of the decking from the USS Worcester. The slab is 18" long x 4" x 2".  The Worcester was a light cruiser that my dad served on during the Korean Conflict.  The ship was decommissioned and eventually cut up for scrap in 1970.  The Navy saved the decking in a warehouse until the last 10 years or so when they donated it to a club consisting of former sailors on the USS Worcester.  They gave a piece of it to each of their members who were confirmed former sailors on that ship.  Dad passed away 4 years ago and I wanted (eventually) to turn a couple of nice turkey pots out of it as family keepsakes for me and my brother to have and to pass down.

I also have some chestnut used on the family farm long ago as fence rails that I plan to stabilize....combine with some colored resin and turn a few strikers as well.

My question(s) are:

Have any of you turned Teakwood before?  It's very dense and very heavy.  Do you think it would make a good pot call?  What about the chestnut for strikers?

I appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks,
David

LabsRUsII

David,  teak turns good, chestnut strikers you have get the weight right.  But makes a good pot. Teak makes a good striker

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Cool Ridge Clucker

Thanks for the info.  I'm determined to make the pots out of the teak slab once I get comfortable with my turning ability where I'm not afraid of butchering the wood.  I wasn't sure what kind of sound they might generate.  Do you know if any particular combo of surface / sounding board works best with teak or chestnut?  The one you have pictured looks like slate over glass?.....

LabsRUsII

Slate over glass still makes sound for me. All dimensions are critical
Practice  on cheap wood till you get sound right.  I made buckets of firewood  till I got mine right lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Cool Ridge Clucker

I'll definitely make sure I'm very comfortable kicking out pots using lesser wood before trying the teak.  I appreciate the advice.  I've worked some on other lathes, but I'm just now setting up my own shop to tinker around in.  I talked the wife into letting me get a Jet 1221 VS lathe for Christmas.