OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 - 23 vs 26 inch barrel?

Started by clfergus, October 17, 2019, 02:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

I seem to spend more time Pheasant and Dove hunting than I do Turkey these days. Right now I have a 870 12 gauge that wears its original wood furniture, shoot 3 inch shells and has a 26 inch vent rib barrel. I also have a 12ga 870 NWT Foundation gun that sports a Camo Sur-Shot stock and Camo 23' barrel with fiber optic iron sights.

I have been thinking about selling the 870 NWT edition since I never shoot it to help fund a new Beretta A300 Outlander Semi-Auto. I would like to get the Turkey version of this gun but the barrel is only 24 inches so I should opt for the 28 inch to help with Upland hunting.

That would leave me with a 870 with a 26 inch barrel and a A300 with a 28 inch barrel.

If I do go turkey hunting again which would you use? Would you say wither of these is fine or would you look into a shorter 23 inch barrel for the 870 or A300?

My patterns from my 870 with a Jellyhead and Longbeard ammo is pretty good.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I think I would pattern them both and which one patterns the best or you like the best use it as is. I don't think I would spend the money on a shorter barrel for either gun. To me upland game and Clay's are shot so much different than turkey. I have always snap shot doves quail and pheasant. And I aim at a turkey for me I have set ups for both. Not saying you can hunt one with the other. I have never really had a issue with a longer barrel in the turkey woods. Just my two cents and not sure if it's worth it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

If the 23" 870 patterns well, I would go with it. I`ve personally enjoyed a shorter barrel ( 23" ) in the turkey woods on my 870 Super Mag. Also, it just seems like 870s and Jellyheads were made for each other when it comes to patterning.

captpete

I have an 870 Special Purpose Magnum with a 26" barrel. I can't recall a time where the longer barrel has caused me issues. You are only talking a 3" difference. You already have great tube for the 870. The Jellyhead tube will more than likely throw just as good of a pattern in the 26" as it does in the 23". Add a set of sights to the 26" and go kill a turkey. Now, if a person were to be using a tent/blind a lot, I can see where a 23" might be an advantage.

BandedSpur

I use 26" barrels on all repeaters and 28" on all double barrels with no issues getting through the nastiest cover imaginable. Free velocity and less muzzle blast for the user - what's not to like?

Turkeytider

It`s truly just a matter of personal preference and really no right or wrong. Turkeys have been killed with everything from 18" to 32", I`m certain.

Ozarks Hillbilly

My first dedicated turkey gun was a single shot Stevens sporting a 36" barrel. It killed on one end and crippled on the other.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I prefer the shorter barrel myself.. 21 - 24 inch , you still going to gain little with extended tube ...

mike103

Sell both guns and buy the A400 with a 26" barrel.

Don't get me wrong the A300 is a good gun but the A400 is a much better gun.

The extreme plus, the latest camo, model has been upgraded with several new features including speed bolt closer, oversized bolt handle, raised rib, mid bead, five choke tubes instead of three and several new camo patterns. Also has the kickoff recoil reducer system.

Hoot 000

:z-guntootsmiley: shorter Barrel is easier to handle but you don't have the penetration even with today's modern propellants that you do in a longer Barrel having said that I've had short barrels and killed turkeys just as well . As already mentioned it is a matter of preference.

LaLongbeard

I seriously doubt 3" of barell length will be noticed by either you or a Gobbler. Penetration will be no different, the shorter barell will be a little bit louder but also a little easier to maneuver 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Oconeeguy

I had a short barrel 535 Mossy once (20" I think) that was the LOUDEST thing I ever shot. Dads 28" version of the same gun was normal sounding and patterned slightly better with the very same choke. Just my experience