turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Good Calls

Started by Loyalist84, September 21, 2019, 09:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loyalist84

Title says it all really. I've hunted turkeys since I was 15, but ten years on I'm starting to look at getting kitted out to hunt on my own more often and a big part of that is upgrading my equipment and getting a pair of good calls, one short box and one good pot (preferably waterproof or with an aluminum soundboard) from a custom maker, rather than a Primos/Quaker Boy commercial product.

Since I'm in Canada and a recent college grad I don't have a ton of cash to throw around, but I could lay out up to $75-100 American for each call, not counting strikers. With those criteria in mind, I was wondering what the collective wisdom of the forum would recommend, preferably with a waiting list if at all, that would put a call in my hand by this coming March at the latest?

Greg Massey

Look at S S Custom calls , Mike with Spring Creek calls, Jeff White Custom Calls, these guys make some good custom boxes in your price range and Chris Brumfiel turkey calls he makes both boxes and pot calls .. for pots Get with Mark Cornelius - Mac Turkey calls and Nathan Taylor - Higher calling for your custom pot calls ... Also welcome to the forum ...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 21, 2019, 09:35:46 PM
Look at S S Custom calls , Mike with Spring Creek calls, Jeff White Custom Calls, these guys make some good custom boxes in your price range and Chris Brumfiel turkey calls he makes both boxes and pot calls .. for pots Get with Mark Cornelius - Mac Turkey calls and Nathan Taylor - Higher calling for your custom pot calls ... Also welcome to the forum ...
I agree with all this and would throw in John Sinclair as well for the waterproof pot as well as Pecker Wrecker Turkey Calls, the last did a video of himself playing his waterproof pot in the shower.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bobk

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 21, 2019, 09:35:46 PM
Look at S S Custom calls , Mike with Spring Creek calls, Jeff White Custom Calls, these guys make some good custom boxes in your price range and Chris Brumfiel turkey calls he makes both boxes and pot calls .. for pots Get with Mark Cornelius - Mac Turkey calls and Nathan Taylor - Higher calling for your custom pot calls .

I agree with this  list of callmakers.
I would add Larry "Buster" Halford to the pot call list.

Tom007

First and foremost, welcome to this great forum. I agree with all the wisdom above. You also should check out Oak Ridge Calls. Jimmy Schaefer is a great guy, and makes some fine calls at reasonable prices. He stands behind everything he sells. My favorites from Jimmy are his Blue Mahoe Slate and Glass calls. Best of luck.
"Solo hunter"

captpete

:welcomeOG:

I'm not a box call person, so I can't help there. For pot calls, you can't go wrong with any that are already listed. I would add Paul Hicks, aka. Daddy Rat on this forum, to the list. Good luck and let us know what you get.

lumberjack

Can't go wrong with the ones listed......I'd add Josh Farley to the box call list.

Sixes

I'd add David Halloran, Ricky Padgett (Spring Allure), Paul Durham , Hank's calls, many more out there.

Loyalist84

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Now I've gotta spend the weekend listening to sound files and debating between surfaces! Out of curiosity, anyone used a Halloran Cherry Slate? I really like the sound of his Metal Mouth II but curious about his other offerings.

Spitten and drummen

Spring creek box and a halloran crystal mistress and you will be set.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

va longbeard

For pots MAC turkey calls and Larry Halford "Buster" on this forum are tough to beat.  Get a walnut green slate from MAC and a red slate in  a persimmon pot from Buster you will never need another slate call and these are two of the top calls I have currently.  Both make a jam up glass call as well.  MAC makes a great aluminum in walnut that is a killer call as well.

Nathan Taylor and Dustin Jones Blackstone calls make great pots as well.

If you know someone in Georgia that can pick calls up for you Lonnie Mabry makes some of the best old school grey slates I have heard there $35 a piece get one with a wood soundboard either walnut or cedar call.  He makes a great cost style box call for less than $100.  Problem is he want mail calls to you.

For waterproof aluminum get in touch with Darren Dawkins and get a stoned aluminum in a plastic pot for $55 its a great call one of the best aluminum calls I own.

Have you considered scratch boxes there cheaper than cost style boxes and can have the same volume and in my opinion sound better when you got the right one in your hands.  Scott Baseshore, Joe Sherrod, Curtis Terrell, Josh Farley and others make great scratch boxes all are less than $50.

shatcher

I'd have to give a shout out to S&S.  Their field grade boxes are great and priced right, $75.

Bowguy

If you wanted to stay in the $200 range for both calls, why not look in the classifieds? Bet you be able to get more than 2 calls.
I'd go w SS or Halloran for boxes. SS or Lonnie Gilbert for scratchers. For pots the Halloran Mistress is a good one. One of Schafer's aluminum's is what I'd recommend.
Mac, Blackstone or Lonzo are makers you couldn't go wrong with in any surface. I had great luck this spring w a green slate from Lonzo.  First time I've run green slate
Good luck to ya. Let us know what you get and welcome

Loyalist84

While I haven't been able to decide on a box yet, I just had a great conversation with Nathan Taylor and put an order in for a black slate/cedar pot! Mr. Taylor said it should give me the mellow, punchy yelp that I've been looking for as opposed to the higher tone that most pots have. Now to go on the hunt for strikers!

Crghss

I have some great strikers from JLH. The heavy hickory worked great this spring on my Brad Roberts green slate.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...