OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TTS

Started by Fastcat, May 05, 2011, 05:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

Is TTS the next big thing in turkey loads? According to some out there its the cats meow. So is it all its cracked up to be? Are any manufactures planing to pick this shot up in a factory load? And is it just me or is #9 shot for turkeys no matter how dense pushing it a little far?

jfair

TSS will most likely not make it to the factory loads due to cost.  I'm with you on the shot size being a little on the small side.  I'm certain we will be in the minority though, and very well could be wrong.  I had to twist my own arm to shoot the 7's this year and for no certain reason have only loaded the 6's on hunts.  Just feel more comfortable with that size.  I would jump at an 18g/cc  6 shot in 2.25 ounces if it was offered.

stinkpickle

Quote from: jfair on May 05, 2011, 05:20:02 PM
... I would jump at an 18g/cc  6 shot in 2.25 ounces if it was offered.

That wouldn't be very many pellets.   :D

jfair

Thinking it would be about 310-320 per shell for 6's.  410-420 for 7's.  I guess your right, that's not alot.  I wouldn't jump.

jfair

This is an honest question, so please take it as such.  At what point is the shot too small?  I would assume there would have to be a point that it is not effective anymore.   From the reasoning of more shot is better, then 12 shot TSS would be superior.

scastle

is this why everyone seems to be shooting them in a 20ga. and is the 20 any better than a 12

paladin

On the thought of 9 shot, yes it seems small but that is because we are told and learned turkey was 4 5 and 6.
I have seen the 9s lay them down at 45 yards.
What I tell people is Lead 4,5 and 6, hevi 5,6 and 7 , TSS 8 and 9s.
"have gun-will travel"

gobbler74

Seeing the pattern and definite facts of the tss energy it is a serious piece of work. I do have one question about the 9's. Let say you dont get a decent head shot, even if it were the intention or you pull off or just plain natural last second movement from terrain or whatever causes a shot lower than normal. This happens quite often in the turkey woods. Whats those 9's gonna do through the breast? Even with 4,5,6 shot it doesnt end up shredded and can still be eaten. Do the 9's ruin the meat or just hard on the fillings?  This is my biggest problem with the 7's I shoot. unlike 4s & 5s... these pellets make a lot more holes. If you get a little low it causes more problems than the larger shot. I believe due to this issue I would rather use tss 7.5's instead of any smaller. The energy from those would be seriously nasty even if sacrificing number of hits.   
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

honker22

I killed 3 birds with TSS 9s this year... and I will NEVER look back.  Amazing patterns, energy, and knock down power.  There is no questioning TSS 9s at 40+ like some people do with the Hevi 7s.

But don't mistake, I didn't get into shooting TSS to make 60-100 yard shots.  I got it because I believe in shooting the best thing out there at a turkey.  I am now confident that even if I misjudge the distance, I have a gun that is more than capable of killing one.  My pattern and pellet energy is good to about 75, but the farthest shot I made this year was 32 yards. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

gobbler74

Quote from: JohnDoe on May 05, 2011, 10:07:00 PM
Jim
I found some differences in the way they work. Lead will flatten and pull feathers and leave a larger wound channel. TSS and Hevi will not flatten and pull feathers and make large wound channels. HTL's seem to do less damage in flesh.

John

I know what you mean about the feather pull..In a perfect world we hit em in the head above the waddles every time. But that just dont happen. I'm just looking at # of pellets in the meat if we happen to shoot a little lower than the money shot..I started shooting 6x7 hevi's in my 10 ga for that fact. at 1200+ fps they drive fairly deep. I imagine the tss darn near go through it. I havent shot it yet so cant say..would love to try it. I love to kill em but hate wasting meat too. This situation doesnt happen often. Just seen a couple get tore up on two doubles last year..one one double two birds got cross checked bad by 5 ozs of 7's and we had a time cleaning them.. I dont knock what anyone runs, lead, HTL, silver and gold...just been thinking about those 9's hitting low. got some friends here shooting them and they are darn sure nasty medicine.   
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"