Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Memories Of Shooting Flying Fall Turkeys + 1 Spring Jake.

Started by quavers59, July 17, 2020, 06:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

How could, I forget my 1st Wild Turkey ever taken. It was near the very end of May in my 5th Fruitless Spring Season. I walked in with a Guy who knew where 2 Toms were Roosting. We got too close and after Sunrise. Out Flew a Nice Tom can and my friend gave a Lead and Boom-- down he came.  Now, I was more then ready! A 2nd Tom Flew out and , I gave a good Lead and Boom-- this one also came down. My Friends Tom was over 18lbs and my 1st Turkey ever was a Jake. We Doubled up with only a few days to go that Spring of 1994.
    I might add here that 1 Month before in April, I took part in a Registered Skeet 12 Gauge Doubles Event. It was raining lightly with a Strong Wind and the Clay Pigeons " Flattened out" as they came out of both the High House + the Low House. My Low Score of 92 was good enough to Win on this Day.        If one has even Average Wingshooting abilities- a Flying Turkey is Easy to Take Down. As the late Dwain Bland wrote in his book-- Turkey Hunters Digest about Shooting Flying Turkeys-- He Wrote " Easy Pickins".  Of course also, I have been hunting Pheasants up here in New York since 1974.
     One Fall, I was set up between the Roost and a Cut Cornfield. The combine came through the day before. Waste Corn Everywhere in that big field.!!    Here come the Turkeys. I was lining up on a fast walking Jake when a Hen took to the Air and crossed in front of me similar to " High House #3".  Quick as a cat, I gave 3 foot lead and Boom-- down that Hen Turkey came.

Another Fall Season-- a article in Turkey + Turkey Hunting, I believe gave me some added Knowledge before the Fall Turkey Season. The Author-- Jim Casada wrote that if you Scatter a Flock and a Turkey lands in a Tree not too far away--- simply Trot Towards that Tree without stopping because once you stop- that Turkey will Fly on out. So that is what, I did in a Flat Field. Trotted slowly over and stopped 30 yards away. As soon as, I stopped, that big Jake Flew out and Boom-- he came Thudding Down in the cut cornfield. His Crop was PACKED with Corn!

And in yet another Fall Turkey Season, I was at another Field that had nearly been all cut of Corn. I remember that the Combine was still parked in a corner. Right after Sunrise, I see a big Flock of Turkeys on the other side of the Field. I Kee-Keed + Yelped and slowly the Flock ambled my way.  I was picking a big Jake out when a Hen saw my big Redneck form at the Field edge. Plenty of Putts from all members! I ran out 10 yards and that Hen exploded Skyward and not too high. Almost like Low House#7.   Boom and a Skidding Thud!  Her Crop also was Packed with Corn to the Bursting Point! No wonder she did not get too High-Lol!

One of my Brothers in Law only took 1 Wild Turkey in his Life and it was on a Pheasant Hunt. His Golden Retriever busted up a Flock and a High Flying Hen flew overhead similar to High House #8. Boom and down she came. I was so happy that he finally took a Wild Turkey!

My other Brother in law also had a number of Turkeys taken out of the air in the Fall. Between all 3 of us- no Flying Turkeys were ever missed.  We all Hunted the Pheasant + Wily Woodcock. If one can hit a Woodcock- a Wild Turkey looks like a 747 !  An easy Shot.

Hope you all enjoyed the memories above. I know there are( Purists)  who disagree with shooting at Flying Turkeys. It is what it is and depends on your Neck of the Woods. If one is a Skilled Wingshooter- then no problem.

Bowing Off The Dojo Floor.

quavers59

A Flying " Field Shot" in a Cut Corn Field is easy. I try to spray the Head + Neck after a good Lead + Follow Through. I have done the same with 6lb Rooster Pheasants. Believe me-- Pheasants are Quicker in Flight and of course Smaller in Size.

Greg Massey

I took a bunch of wood stakes , and placed red solo cups on top of them in a field , and killed my limit of gobbler one spring and i never missed. I call that years of experience... I only had 4 shells ... I usually don't read books ...  :OGturkeyhead:

Loyalist84

Great memories! I had a 'gimme' to take a big tom out of the air at 20 yards this spring, but was so astonished at the chance that I forgot to take the safety off my shotgun before I pulled the trigger! I'd much prefer to take a bird on the ground, but if such an easy opportunity presents itself again, well, it's a lot easier than taking grouse!

quavers59

Greg-- My Father started to Train me on the Skeet Field at age 11. I shot my 1st 25 Straight at age 14. Many 25 Straights since then of course and a number of 100 Straights.
      I usually call my Birds in-- but if a Fall Turkey gives me a good Wingshot, I will take it! I only have 2 weeks in New York and 1 week in New Jersey for the Fall Turkey Season.

Greg Massey

Quote from: quavers59 on July 19, 2020, 04:22:01 PM
    Greg-- My Father started to Train me on the Skeet Field at age 11. I shot my 1st 25 Straight at age 14. Many 25 Straights since then of course and a number of 100 Straights.
      I usually call my Birds in-- but if a Fall Turkey gives me a good Wingshot, I will take it! I only have 2 weeks in New York and 1 week in New Jersey for the Fall Turkey Season.
Glad your father started you at such a young age and taught you how to shoot. My dad did the same with me at age 7 or 8 and he taught me how to shoot and hunt to put meat on the table. Those were the good old days of hunting and memories ...