OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

primos jellyhead

Started by Old Timer, July 13, 2019, 08:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

I hear praise for the original jellyhead choke. Why is the former sought after? Difference between the old and new?

West Augusta

I haven't shot the new one but my 870 Super Mag loves the old one.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

larry9988

Old Jellyhead's are dang good chokes.

Dtrkyman

Have one for my sbe2, it shot equal or better patterns than a rhino back in the day when I first got it.  Shooting a 20ga now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Shot two original JH in .660, one for my 1300 and the other for my H&R single shot. With Hevi-6s and Hevi-7s the JH .660 is a killer combination. Like above, I'm shooting a 20 ga. now as well.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Jester87

My 870 Super mags love the JH .660 and .665. Mine are the old style tho.

Turkeytider

My '05 vintage 870 Super Mag came with an original.660 JH . Deadly with Hevi-13 3" #6. Great combo and fits my hunting style. I like to sit more than run and gun.

bobk

Have a original JH in a SBE that shoots very good patterns with Hevi 13 #6. I hunt  a 20ga now.

Turkeytider

If I were earlier in my turkey hunting career, and especially if I adopted more of a run and gun style, I`d think very seriously about switching to a 20. My 12 gauge 870 Super Mag is an absolute tank of a gun. I`ve not weighed it, but it`s got to be over 8 lbs. It more than does the job and considering I really like to set up and enjoy the woods, it`s fine ( and yes, I`m an "old guy" ! )

zelmo1

I had an old 20 ga barrel threaded by Briley, they have their own thread pattern for thin wall chokes, and a turkey choke made. I mic'd a 20 ga jellyhead and used the dimensions to send to Briley. I love the choke they made for me. I think the jellyhead is a proven high performer

Turkeytider

Quote from: zelmo1 on July 14, 2019, 09:32:15 AM
I had an old 20 ga barrel threaded by Briley, they have their own thread pattern for thin wall chokes, and a turkey choke made. I mic'd a 20 ga jellyhead and used the dimensions to send to Briley. I love the choke they made for me. I think the jellyhead is a proven high performer

Yep, definitely one of the classics when it comes to dedicated turkey chokes. Been around a long time and dirt napped more than a couple of gobblers.

Old Timer

Turkeyrider i hear you. The kids got me a shirt "old guys rule"! Kind of funny. I have always used heavy guns and have done a lot of running and gunning. Catch myself setting by the fields more now. But im not ruling out setting up a 20. I was wondering do jh`s have wad catcher rings?

Spitten and drummen

Primos jelly head chokes are pretty good chokes. The older ones as well as the newer ones.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Turkeytider

Quote from: Old Timer on July 14, 2019, 02:03:29 PM
Turkeyrider i hear you. The kids got me a shirt "old guys rule"! Kind of funny. I have always used heavy guns and have done a lot of running and gunning. Catch myself setting by the fields more now. But im not ruling out setting up a 20. I was wondering do jh`s have wad catcher rings?

I know that this is a tad off subject, but anyone that likes to set up/decoy hunt on more open areas, and ESPECIALLY if you have a heavier gun, look at a Knight and Hale Universal Hands Free system. About $ 50 but well worth it IMO. Has a great knee brace for the gun and a shoulder mount where you can rest the gun butt. Voila !! Hands free!!

Old Timer