turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Black Palm wood?

Started by longbearded1, May 07, 2019, 02:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbearded1

Anybody turned any of this wood? Do I need to worry about a reaction to it?

outdoors

I haven't  but j understood it's very hard to turn even with sharp tools
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

misfire

I have turned a lot of it over the years with no adverse reaction. However, I highly recommend stabilizing it first. It is a very open grained wood that is very prone to tear out
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: misfire on June 20, 2019, 03:55:09 PM
I have turned a lot of it over the years with no adverse reaction. However, I highly recommend stabilizing it first. It is a very open grained wood that is very prone to tear out

Haha yeah I remember when it broke your drill bit a couple years ago on one you were making for me.  But you made me a great one after that happened!  Black palm is so dense the headhunters in the pacific islands once used it for their war clubs. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

misfire

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 20, 2019, 06:09:50 PM
Quote from: misfire on June 20, 2019, 03:55:09 PM

Haha yeah I remember when it broke your drill bit a couple years ago on one you were making for me.  But you made me a great one after that happened!  Black palm is so dense the headhunters in the pacific islands once used it for their war clubs.

Got another blank on the shelf, waiting on a day to turn when I am mad at myself.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

ol bob

If you have it stabilized you will love it if you don't you want ever want to see another piece of it.

espo16

Just finished tuning some...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

espo16

Mcduckin

outdoors

Wow I wonder what the   porcupine looks like.
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sir-diealot

Quote from: espo16 on July 13, 2019, 07:50:29 PM
Just finished tuning some...

Was in a pen with a couple of friends they were training their coyote dogs in and you heard the dog yip and he came running by me with a full face of quills. Don't think I have ever felt so sorry for an animal in my life, we had to get them out of him, he had quills in his gums and everything.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."