OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Selling/trading calls.... OPINIONS NEEDED!

Started by chufagold, August 12, 2019, 09:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chufagold

Quote from: Happy on August 13, 2019, 07:28:50 AM
I will be the odd man out here. I will give a call away before I sell one. Would rather see a kid or fellow hunter have it and use it then try and "flip" it. I dont buy many calls and when I do it is purely with the intent to hunt it. If I am not wild about it then my boys get first dibs on it and after that all bets are off. I have a job for my income so I really have no interest in making money off of calls. Would rather pay it forward to other hunters and not muddy the waters of a fine sport. However once someone purchases a call it is theirs to do with as they please. I personally would not feel right jacking the price up on a hard to get call just because I could. It just wouldn't set well with me. It's kinda like scalping tickets in my opinion and I dont like raking people through the coals even if they are willing to let me.
This thread is not about jacking prices up. It's about selling them at cost. Is this still a bad practice in your opinion and if so why?

ol bob

Any time someone buys a call from me its a honor to make it once you pay its yours, take it hunting, sell it, our put it in a display case,you though enough of me to ask me to make it that's what counts.I make them because I want to not because I have to,its something to keep an old man busy.

Happy

I firmly believe that once I call is purchased then the owner has every right to do with it as he pleases. I will not tell anyone what is right or wrong in a situation like this. I only worry about my own integrity and moral compass. I personally prefer to give calls to people that will appreciate them and put them to the use they were intended for. Every callmaker I have spoken with has been a class act and truly wants to make the best call that they can and they want it to be hunted. I am blessed to have a good job and live comfortably off of that money. I have no desire to profit off of calls or even break even. To me I would rather try to keep things positive and help others than delve into what to me personally would be murky water. Is it wrong to break even on a call or even profit off of it? Not necessarily. I can only follow my personal feelings on it and stay true to what I believe as a hunter and someone who wants to be a positive impact on the sport should be. In life I keep it pretty simple. Always try and be the best person I can be, a great husband, father, co-worker and friend. I want to surround myself with people i can respect and admire. I just avoid the rest as much as possible. Not judging but not interested in what others do if it's not personally what I believe is right.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

chufagold

Quote from: ol bob on August 13, 2019, 08:47:29 AM
Any time someone buys a call from me its a honor to make it once you pay its yours, take it hunting, sell it, our put it in a display case,you though enough of me to ask me to make it that's what counts.I make them because I want to not because I have to,its something to keep an old man busy.
That's how I would see it if I was a maker. I just love buying 5 or so then keep the one or two I like the most. Kinda like if u were at a show. play a bunch of them then pick out your favorite instead of just buying one and wondering if there was a different combo you may have liked better.

chufagold

Quote from: Happy on August 13, 2019, 08:52:01 AM
I firmly believe that once I call is purchased then the owner has every right to do with it as he pleases. I will not tell anyone what is right or wrong in a situation like this. I only worry about my own integrity and moral compass. I personally prefer to give calls to people that will appreciate them and put them to the use they were intended for. Every callmaker I have spoken with has been a class act and truly wants to make the best call that they can and they want it to be hunted. I am blessed to have a good job and live comfortably off of that money. I have no desire to profit off of calls or even break even. To me I would rather try to keep things positive and help others than delve into what to me personally would be murky water. Is it wrong to break even on a call or even profit off of it? Not necessarily. I can only follow my personal feelings on it and stay true to what I believe as a hunter and someone who wants to be a positive impact on the sport should be. In life I keep it pretty simple. Always try and be the best person I can be, a great husband, father, co-worker and friend. I want to surround myself with people i can respect and admire. I just avoid the rest as much as possible. Not judging but not interested in what others do if it's not personally what I believe is right.
To me buying calls every year is a part of Turkey season as much as pulling the trigger on a bird. So if buying a new calls keeps a person intrested and happy then what's wrong with selling some at cost to justify buying more.
It's just not practical to have hundreds of calls and only use a handful. The research, talking to makers, and figuring out which one you want is the fun in it. I'm just wanting to get the point across if someone sells a call it doesn't mean their disappointed in the call and would hope it dosent offend the maker

TauntoHawk

Quote from: chufagold on August 13, 2019, 08:23:59 AM
Quote from: Happy on August 13, 2019, 07:28:50 AM
I will be the odd man out here. I will give a call away before I sell one. Would rather see a kid or fellow hunter have it and use it then try and "flip" it. I dont buy many calls and when I do it is purely with the intent to hunt it. If I am not wild about it then my boys get first dibs on it and after that all bets are off. I have a job for my income so I really have no interest in making money off of calls. Would rather pay it forward to other hunters and not muddy the waters of a fine sport. However once someone purchases a call it is theirs to do with as they please. I personally would not feel right jacking the price up on a hard to get call just because I could. It just wouldn't set well with me. It's kinda like scalping tickets in my opinion and I dont like raking people through the coals even if they are willing to let me.
This thread is not about jacking prices up. It's about selling them at cost. Is this still a bad practice in your opinion and if so why?

Sorry I think I off topic'd the thread down that road because I see a lot of it. Selling at cost I see ZERO issues. Whats the alternative you send a call back and ask for a refund? I think its a win win win

-call maker sells a call (built with the intentions to kill a turkey)
-you get to try a new call
-someone gets a call with no wait at or just below cost
-Call ends up in the hands of someone who will hunt it filling the purpose (kill a turkey) of the call makers build
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

roberthyman14

If I get a call that doesn't fit my liking. And is still new
A- contact the maker, they will usually give you your money back to send it back to them

B- sell it for the price you paid. Dont profit and dont sell it super cheap. 

C- it just goes into the stash and give it to someone else. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OldSwamper

A marriage is supposed to be forever but even that doesn't hold up these days.....for me, it's about confidence in a call.  I have traded or sold some high end stuff that no doubt would call a turkey but for whatever reason, I never reached for it to head out, those have to go.  Alternatively, it's sometimes about curiosity in other calls and part of the fun for me waiting on it to get here.  Just my take, to each his own.  I could care less what someone else does with a call they bought

strutnrut

As a callmaker I have given up one trying to figure out customers. BUT I want them to have a call that they kill turkeys with. When they decide on selling a call then so be it. Had you ever head your voice recorded and think dang I sound like that. So IMO people hear sound differently.  What one doesn't like another may love.

1iagobblergetter

I think I have about every call I've ever bought.
The problem I have is when someone is on a callmakers list with no intent of keeping a call,but only to profit.

wchadw

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on August 14, 2019, 08:23:41 PM
I think I have about every call I've ever bought.
The problem I have is when someone is on a callmakers list with no intent of keeping a call,but only to profit.
I agree with this. Seems like there are some that get on call makers lists and get as many calls as they will allow to turn around and sell to make a few bucks. My problem with that is call makers get so many calls ordered they shut down taking orders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

The only calls I would NEVER consider getting rid of are those that have been given to me. Now that would be insulting the maker.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."