OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kick’s Gobblin Thunder & TSS or Hevi

Started by Laloom83, February 07, 2018, 05:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laloom83

I was on the phone with David from Nitro Ammunition today and he's making me some Hevi loads and a few TSS loads for my new H&R 10 ga.  Anyways I told him I decided on the Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke in a .695 and he said I shouldn't shoot heavy or TSS out of it. Is this true? Has anyone shot Hevi and or TSS from kicks chokes?  The package doesn't say not to it just says the user assumes risk for anything other than lead.  Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Kick's rates their chokes for lead only, unless it was the old Winchester HTL. Many rumors why?? I do not own one, but if I did I'd try HTL & TSS thru it. Not that it's the right thing to do, only what I would do.

Tom Foolery

I've shot hundreds of rounds of Hevi through my .660 and the only thing I've noticed is good patterns.

mtns2hunt

I've shot heavy through my kicks with no ill effects. Only problem was my patterns had too many holes in them. Tried 3 or four different shot sizes with no luck. Still using the kicks because I shoot a lot of long beard. It is possible that my choke was not right for the hevi. I am using .655 constriction.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Yoder409

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 07, 2018, 05:30:11 PM
Kick's rates their chokes for lead only, unless it was the old Winchester HTL. Many rumors why??

Why is because Chuck Boswell is a strict adherent to the differences in Rockwell hardness between choke tube steel and HTL shot pellets.  The old Winchester Xtended HTL pellets were of a hardness that was compatible with the steel in Kick's tubes.  The rest are not.

I can pretty nearly quote Chuck from a conversation I had with him................... I'll put it in quotes although I'll call it a "very accurate paraphrase".  He said, "Will other HTL shot types (other than the Winchester Xtended) work in my tube ??  Yes.  I might be able to shoot 999 of them and when the pellets get to the constriction, they'll all line up and go through just fine.  It's just that number 1000 that DOESN'T line up right and blows the tube or the side out of the muzzle that I'm not willing to take responsibility for."
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

eddie234

I believe its stated somewhere kicks is only for lead. I still have some of the Winchester HLT shells and the Winchester XR I shoot through my kicks. Hevi goes through my Indian creek choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoder409

Chuck will tell you that the old Winchester Supreme Xtended Range HTL shells are OK to run through his tubes.   No others that I'm aware of.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Old Gobbler

The authority on a choke tubes compatibles will ultimately lay with the choke tube manufacturer, call up kicks and they will tell you everything you need to know

With that said.....kicks chokes are well built , I have one too ..

On a side note ......I've seen a flush choke blow up right in front of me , and seen countless others (not kicks )that members have blown up via this site ... ....so yes a choke can and may blow apart , especially with heavy turkey loads , be safe guys ....it's a controlled explosion , something to take seriously
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

RED NECK

I emailed Kicks this morning to ask If I can shoot Federal Tss #7 through my Kicks GT .675 Invector Plus for next year and had a reply within half an hour   "Yes!!"            was the answer.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Longshanks

The new Federal Flex Wad is supposed to be fine with ported and non-ported chokes. That being said I am going to try the 3"  Fed 9's through a Hevi 13 .662 choke.

pdaugherty

I would try a Hevi-shot choke tube with the Hevi13 or the Magblend. The chokes made to get the most out of those loads and they are very affordable too. I don't think you'd be disappointed with them I've gotten great patterns with the chokes in many different guns and loads.

Longshanks

For sure, am Shooting 330's with Hevi 13 3.5/7's and 260's with 3/7's out of the Hevi 13 chokes and Beretta Guns. 240's-250's out of a 21"bbl Rem 870 and the Hevi 13 choke.
Just curious to run some TSS 9's and see what it will do.

Roost 1

I've shot 100s of HTL shells thru a kicks choke. In my opinion kicks and JEBS make the toughest chokes out there. With that being said it's widely known that kicks has been in with Winchester for YEARS, and since Winchester doesn't load hevi or tss Charlie has never promoted those types of shot.
I'd keep using the kicks GT. 

sixbird

I have a Kicks and saw a warning about Kicks and Hevi. I called Kicks and they said don't use the hevi with their chokes. That was good enough for me...