turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nitro 7s vs. Hevi 7s. 3.5"

Started by pcgobbler, May 04, 2011, 12:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcgobbler

I' m currently shooting mag-blends but am looking to go with straight 7s for next year to up my pellet counts.  I know both will work, but I don't want a tennisball size pattern at 20 yards.  Has anyone done a comparison of the two?  I'd also love to see some patterns at 20 and 40 yards.  My primary is an ll87 SM, PG .670.  Secondary 835 with Jellyhead.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have one for the Jelly Head.  Give me a sec. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Moss 835 Jelly Head .690 Hevi-13 3.5 #7's

ILIKEHEVI-13

You'll get way better patterns from the 835 with a Star Dot or Pure Gold choke though.  And I do mean way better.  

I just got a Pure Gold .670 for my 870 yesterday.  I haven't shot it yet.  It should do very well with the 7 loads.

But here's one of my best patterns with the 3" Hevi-13 2oz #7's out of my 870 and MAD Super Max .675 choke.  This is a 10" and 20" pattern shot at a taped 40yds.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And here's the 835 and Star Dot .676 choke.

And here was the very next shot with a new Pure Gold .670 choke.

I don't think Nitros are going to do much better if at all. 

pcgobbler

Hevi-13, do you have a 20 yard pattern?

mmusso

Here's a Nova/JH .655 at 30yds with 3.5" H13 7s if this helps...

Gobble!

heres a pattern with the 3.5" hevi13 #7s at 20

At 40 yards it was 225 in a 10" circle this years lot # 300487

pcgobbler

I'm currently getting 235 out of my gun with the mag-blends.  I was hoping to up my pellet count but not really affect the overall "size of the pattern".  The "size" of my pattern is perfect.

SumToy

I think the 7's will give bigger numbers. I like the speed of the blend.  Now you can get the shot count up but then you get the patterns that make you shoot it like a rifle at the 20 to 25 yard mark.  HV dead at 3 to 4 buck a shell. Nitro dead at 8 buck.  How dead is dead.  Money no big thing kill him plum nitro dead. LoL
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

West Augusta

I got 265 with Mag Blends out of my 870 with a .665 Jellyhead and 261 with #7's.  I am going to use the Mag Blends.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

goblr77

Hevi 7's @ 20 yds

[attachment deleted by admin]

fountain

i would say hevi 7s over the nitrso..same shot in both..nitros are hotter and will yield better numbers, but both should put up very good numbers if choked right.  if u just wanna make it as bad as it can be and you are shooting a scope..go nitros..order early and hope they go back to shooting like the 2010 loads..orrrrr go ahead and get some hevi 7 now and see what it does and if you like it get more immediately with the same exact lot number.

it sounds like you will want the hevi loads..the nitros should outshoot them, but the hevi should give you the more open patterns up close..not by much tho..both will be really tigh up close.  order some hevi and keep us posted.

i will be testing 3 835s later this week..weather permitting..with the hevi 3.5" 7s and a sumtoy 675.  i i will post results

pcgobbler

From what I've seen the nitros are extremely tight under 25 yards.  I think the hevis should have a little more forgiving pattern at close range.  Most of my birds have been killed under 30 yards.  Thanks for the input and patterns guys.  I think I'm gonna try some hevi 7s.  I was kinda already leaning that way anyways.

drenalinld

I have Nitro #7's on the way and will be testing them for comparison to the 278 average in the 10" I am getting with the H-13 #7's. I will let you know in about 10 days how they compare with the same gun/choke combo. I shoot a Rhino 0.660" in my SBEII. Nitro is sending me a 0.668 jelly head to try that is supposed to be designed just for Nitro loads? I also have a Pure Gold 0.670" to try with the Nitro's and H-13's.