only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend me a book

Started by WV Ridge Reaper, June 14, 2019, 09:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on June 23, 2019, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: Southerngobbler on June 22, 2019, 10:24:27 PM
I bought Turkey hunting, a one man game off a recommendation of this tread and can't seem to put the book down, it's easily worth the 20 bucks. Its got a southern theme that I enjoy.

I finished mine in 3 days..Ordered the old pro turkey hunter...Since this thread I've found a few others that I would like to get ahold of at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats how i started and now its another collection I have. I think I'm somewhere around 200 books turkey related.

Ranger

And if Southern and Spiritual is your thing, East of the Slash needs to be your next book.  I want to try Bobby Coles books next, hear they're good.  Best Southern Lit I could recommend:  Harry Crews A CHILDHOOD BIOGRAPHY OF A PLACE.   Cormac McCarthy BLOOD MERIDIAN
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

gaswamp

Sixes

Not turkey related, but if you like historical mountain men type stories, get Crow Killer: The saga of Liver Eating Johnson.

Its the true story that the movie Jeremiah Johnson is based off.

I've read it several times and it's an incredible tale

WV Ridge Reaper

So I have just about finished the old pro...Wow what a book!

nitro

Great books here alrready ..

I will add-

Charles Elliott " Hunting with the old Professor"

Dr. Bobby Dale - " Turkey Roost Tales" or more special his first book " Double Gobble"

Earl Groves- " Talking tomfoolery"

Dr Lovett Williams - anything he wrote  is excellent.

Doug Camp - " Turkey hunting Spring and Fall"

Jim Casada - Remembering the Greats

Royal Slam 2008

nitro

Fantastic book .. was privileged to meet him at UGA. Incredibly underrated author.  I guarantee you " Ivorybills" will make you stop and think about your relationship to the world, God and many other things.

Highly recommended.

Quote from: NC pine chicken on June 14, 2019, 09:36:07 AM
Find Deep enough for Ivorybills, by James Kilgo. It's a fine read. Not about turkey hunting specifically, just hunting tradition in the south.

Royal Slam 2008

tal

Ridge Reaper I enjoyed your post and hope you are 100% soon. Gene's was the first book I ever read on turkeys. Sadly a stopped up basement drain allowed a couple of inches of water to back up and ruined several books I had in boxes. I need another copy...

gaswamp

Quote from: nitro on June 29, 2019, 05:55:34 PM
Fantastic book .. was privileged to meet him at UGA. Incredibly underrated author.  I guarantee you " Ivorybills" will make you stop and think about your relationship to the world, God and many other things.

Highly recommended.

Find Deep enough for Ivorybills, by James Kilgo. It's a fine read. Not about turkey hunting specifically, just hunting tradition in the south.

got it ordered...looking forward to reading it

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: gaswamp on July 14, 2019, 08:42:28 AM
Quote from: nitro on June 29, 2019, 05:55:34 PM

Highly recommended.

got it ordered...looking forward to reading it
Same here, based on these recommendations, and it is next up on my list.  Also ordered Stephen Bodio's first novel, Tiger Country: A Novel of the Wild Southwest.