OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hows the latter of a 3” shell in a 3 1/2” chamber?

Started by rich870, March 19, 2020, 10:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich870

I'm thinking of a new turkey barrel for my 870.  Just looking at my options. I'd like to know if using 3" shells in a 3 1/2"chamber would be detrimental to shot patterns. I have no intentions of using 3 1/2" shells. 1 7/8 oz is enough.
Longbeard is the intended ammo.

trkehunr93

You should be fine, I have an 835 that I shoot both 3 and 3.5" out of depending on the choke tube.  If you want to shoot LB 3" 1 7/8oz you just need to find the choke tube that gives you the pattern your looking for. 

LaLongbeard

The shotgun shell doesn't know how long the chamber is, the shotgun barrel doesn't care about the shotgun shell at all. The choke will determine the pattern. They would not sell barrels that could use 2 3/4, 3" and 3 1/2" shells if the barrel only shot good patterns with one length, they'd make 3 separate barrels and then convince you you needed to buy all three.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

THattaway

I've been shooting 3" magblends out of a 3 1/2" Rem 870SM for years. 3" Longbeard shot well too.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Turkeytider

3" , 2oz. Hevi-13 out of an 870 Super Mag that has 3.5" chamber. No problems, patterns great through a .660 Jellyhead. Because I rather like keeping my teeth and eyeballs in my head, that gun will never see a 3.5" shell.

lowoctane

:morning:
My 870 super mag prefers 3". Much better patterns and distance, plus, they
are easier to shoot!!! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

captpete

Quote from: lowoctane on March 20, 2020, 08:39:26 AM
:morning:
My 870 super mag prefers 3". Much better patterns and distance, plus, they
are easier to shoot!!! :camohat:

Same here much better patterns with 3" over 3 1/2".