OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bored and thinking.....28ga

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 03, 2011, 06:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocHolliday

Come on in.  The water's fine!
Hognutz, there are two reasons I carry a 28 in the turkey woods.  First, by the 3-4th week of season it gets H-O-T hot down here and after 35 years of chasin' these fool chickens I really like toting a gun that weighs in at a little over 5 lbs. So when it heats up, I put down the big ol' 20 ga and pick up my darlin' lil' 28. Second,  I can do ANYTHING w/ that 28 out to 40 yds (and maybe further, but that's not the point) that you or anybody else can do w/ a 10 ga.  A pellet of equal size delivered to the target at equal velocity will have the same energy AND penetration no matter if originates from a peashooter or a cannon! It is SIMPLY a numbers game (bigger gauge=more of those pellets). And if you are shooting lead or hevishot, I win.  My numbers are a little higher than Hal's (198 @ 40yds) but not nearly as even and pretty. And he was shooting T8's where I was shooting T9's, so his pattern is REALLY impressive!
So, Hognutz or anybody else, please don't castigate those who want to think, plan, and execute a project like this one. This is no fluke. I spent 2 years and a lot of capital both monetary and intellectual before taking this little beauty out.  But when I did, it was w/ ABSOLUTE confidence in its abilities.  That said, it is a HTL handloaders game.  You cannot drop into WallyWorld the night before the season, pick up a box of shells and a choke, and go kill a longbeard at 40 yds the next morning!
I have killed turkeys w/ 10's, 12's, 20's, and now 28's.  When it gets hot, I'll be packin' my lil' darlin'.  And I'll pack her in the turkey woods w/ confidence...

Fastcat

You guys are not helping my remorse for selling my sweet little 28! I wonder if we could get some serious turkey choke development for the rem choke 28? I loved my little Wingmaster!

Hognutz

I'm suited up and jumpin' in, Doc. I really have no problem with what gun a guy kills his turkeys with, or what ga. he chooses to use. I know very well about the energy thing, equal size/equal velocity/equal pellet numbers = dead turkeys. I applaud you for your diligence and for the homework needed to achieve what you have. Many would not have taken the time. As you said, these are not Walmart shells. A few states don't allow the 28ga. as a turkey ga., because of it's inherent shortcomings. There is no asterisk stating that if you hand load, it's O.K. I'm not saying that is right, I'm just saying. I know that there are more than a handfull of people out there that kill a turkey or two every year with a .410. Always have, always will. I guess that there's nothing wrong with that, either. I own a .410, and all the way up to the 10ga. Minus the 16. I have no need to hunt turkeys with anything less than the 12ga. That's just me. The weight is not an issue, and it is not that hot in Wi. at turkey time. Turkey hunting really is a numbers game, when in fact, it really only takes one pellet to kill one. After all, they are only turkeys. I will agree with you that the 28ga., in proper hands will effectively kill at long ranges. As will a .410... I will stick to my 7 lb. Benelli. I have no need for anything less..Other than my BPS 10ga....Good luck to you..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

wisconsinteacher

Can we get some info on your set up Doc?

SumToy

The choke will not be a problem. From what I can see a lot of the hand load stuff will work with sporting clay chokes.  Now if we have a over the counter shell we would just cut it open to see what all in side it. Then lay the choke out and fine tune on it. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

DocHolliday

And why would you want a 28ga. to turkey hunt with?  Seriously?

Hognutz:
I appreciate your clarified response.  To each his own.  I wish you nothing but the best in your efforts and none of my comments were directed as mean spirited, only to clarify from your original post.  As to the numbers deal, there is a post in another thread about the H13 7's where a guy brags (rightfully, I guess) about his 3 1/2" , 2 1/4 oz, 12 ga putting 218 pellets in 10" @ 40 yds.  My point is my little 28 put 18 fewer (yes, 18) more potent pellets in that same circle at that same distance! I fail to see the downside or inadequacies in what I'm trying to do based on those numbers. The states I hunt in have no such arcane poorly thoughtout restrictions. That said, were I not handloading tungsten I would not have pursued this project because factory 28's would be a 20 yd proposition max.  So my response was simply directed at  the original poster who was seeking input.

Sumtoy:
There are NO factory loaded shell I know of which I would hunt turkeys with.  7/8-1 oz lead loads would limit your effective range severely.

Hognutz

Quote from: DocHolliday on May 04, 2011, 12:34:29 PM
Sumtoy:
There are NO factory loaded shell I know of which I would hunt turkeys with.  7/8-1 oz lead loads would limit your effective range severely.

This is what I was refering to in my first post, Doc. Of the 2461 members here at the O.G. you can probably count on one hand how many seriously hunt turkeys with the 28ga. Without some serious homework, it is not an ideal turkey gun. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. I also, meant nothing but the best to you and your efforts. This is obviously not your first rodeo, nor is it mine. I wish you well, and our paths will cross again. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

DocHolliday

As stated earlier, I appreciate the clarification of your point. Glad to be in agreement.

drenalinld

I hope to get in the 28 game someday, but I have a lot of catching up to do. Doc that 5 lb setup is SWEET. Hal kill a fathead with that paper eater already and post pics.