OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bored and thinking.....28ga

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 03, 2011, 06:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I know some guys have set up an H&R 20 ga to be a good turkey gun out to 40 yards.  I was wondering if it could be done with a 28 ga.  Here is a thought.  If a guy could get a choke and some Nitro shells with Hevi 13 #7s, I think it could be done.  I know it my not be the best money spent, but it would be a light little gun for young hunters and myself to hunt with.  So is it worth looking into or not?  Some day I will have a 28 ga because it is one of the two gauges I don't own so it will happen and I would like it to be able to shoot a turkey at the furthest range possible.

Fastcat

It might be a waste of time but that's fun too.  I know it would be a challenging set up.  Ammo, choke and gun would all be tough to come buy.  One of the guns I most regret selling was a beautiful Remington Wingmaster 28.  Someday will have one again!  For alot of things they are an incredibly sweet gun!

SumToy

This is funny. I am building a set of 28ga chokes now. I am about to pull my hair out. This is a YILDIZ. Sold by Academy.  Now I think I saw on a post that someone had worked up a hand load for the 28. I know a 28ga is a bad boy. They say it is one of the most blance bore/load combos out on the market.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Fastcat

I think there is something to the "load balance" of a 28gauge.  They pack a lot of punch for the shell size.  I have killed many pheasants with the little 28 and it always seem to hit a lot harder than it should!

Hognutz

And why would you want a 28ga. to turkey hunt with? ??? Seriously?
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

beagler

I would think finding chokes/ammo would be quite difficult. ???
Never Misses

SumToy

Quote from: beagler on May 03, 2011, 07:27:06 PM
I would think finding chokes/ammo would be quite difficult. ???

From what I can find out with the Hand Loads you get by with sporting clay chokes.  Now other then that we would have to work up a custom choke.  Find a shell and it would not be hard to come up with it.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

wisconsinteacher

It would not be a turkey only gun, but a gun that if wanted could be taken to the turkey woods.  I have a 12 that is turkey only.  I just need a 28 for my collection and gauge slam.  Like I said, I am bored and when that happens I start to think and that leads to trouble for the checkbook.

grousec

I grouse woodcock with a 28 ga at times and love carring a light 28 that's made on a 28 ga frame.  But I think getting much range out of a 28 ga may be hard to do.  I just can't imagine it being very effective beyond 25-30 yds.  I certainly would be interedted to see a good choke and maybe Hevi 13 #7's.  

SumToy

I have saw them on the sporting clay field and they make you think.  I have saw them brake targets that you think is a long shot for a 12.   I think they would have the same punch but the thing is how much shot could you get in the shell.  I think Hal needs to fill us in on the hand loads.

Ol'Mossy

A friend of mine is going to take a gobbler this year with his 28ga just because.

It throws a good pattern out to 30 yards I saw the targets on Sunday.

Not sure what he's using for shells.

spaightlabs

Not legal in Kansas - 20 gauge is the min.

alexdanotsogreat

I think it would be a fun little project they hit hard upto 30  yards 40 yards with a choke shouldnt be to hard.

grousec

20 ga is the smallest one can legally turkey hunt with in ky as well.

joey46

I'm betting the 20 ga minimum in several States was to discourage people from even thinking about using a .410 for turkey.  The 28 was probably never considered.  
I once owned a 28 and handloaded a 1oz pheasant load for it (might even been 1 1/4).  It worked.  No reason a hot loaded 28 wouldn't work inside 30 yards, maybe even a little further with a good choke and plenty of time at the patterning board.