Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

There's a first time for everything..........

Started by Yoder409, May 20, 2019, 07:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Last Friday morning I just happened to be out and about at gobble time.  Up a ravine toward the top of my main ridge, there were 3-4 birds hammering on the limb.  Sounded like a mature and 2-3 jakes.  My older brother has just been getting into spring hunting the last few years.  He's murder on fall birds.  But always worked too much to spring hunt.  That night he texted me wanting to know if I'd go call for him Saturday morning.  Told him to meet me at my gate at 5:15.

The birds from the morning before had plumb vanished......  Just not there.   We picked up and moved to the next ridge over, which is on his property.   Both brother and I had obligations that only gave us 'til 8:00 to hunt. There's a certain place on his farm that is just a turkey magnet area.  We got in along a log in a fencerow, there, between 2 fields and I called a bit. Hit the box call around 7:25 and a gobble RIGHT behind us nearly brought both of us out of our britches !! Three jakes were coming across the little field right behind us. Not able to move, let alone turn around 180 degrees, we waited them out to circle us............ which they did.  At 7:35 bro' (who is 58) took his very first Eastern spring bird.

Super, SUPER cool morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Spring Fever

Greg Massey

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

bobk

bear hunter

MDTOM84

Yoteduster

Hobbes

Sir-diealot

That's really cool, congratulations to him and to you for the thrill of calling it in for him.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

guesswho

Cool.  Congrats to him.  That's pretty special.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to your brother and you

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats a special day for you both!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ejhandler

Harty

Congrats on your brothers first spring bird. That's always special. He's probably  hooked on the spring hunt now!