OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Nathan Taylor "Higher Calling Custom Calls"...go ahead and order one...

Started by Big Jeremy, May 21, 2019, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

I had been wanting a red slate for a while, and after having heard some good reviews about Nathan's calls, I decided to give one a try. I ordered one a couple of months ago, and it arrived yesterday.

Long story short, I could not be more pleased!

Short story long, this ambrosia maple red slate pot covers every sound you'd ever want to make proficiently. As I told Nathan, it's easy to find a slate that can be whisper quiet and sound good, and it's easy to find one that can crank out volume and sound good, but in my experience, it has been hard to find one that absolutely excels at doing both, and everything in between. Well, this call does it! The softest clucks and purrs? They sound awesome. Throw a little kee kee run on it? Sounds awesome. A loud gathering yelp sequence? Sounds like the old hen herself is doing it. Aggressive, loud cuts and yelps? Same story, it sounds awesome! The only thing I can't get it to do, and do well is a gobble...ha! It has run the best for me with the striker he sent with it (two piece dymandwood), a Chad Remnaric (Tusky River Strikers) Tulipwood, and a Neal Herrman ebony. To boot, it is a beautiful call! I'll post pictures later.

Anyway, Nathan was a pleasure to deal with. I believe he is on here as wvlimbhanger...if you are looking for a new pot call, I highly recommend getting in touch with him to put one together for you! If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

Wisgobbler

I've been looking for a new pot call. I'm using standard gray slate right now. I don't rely on my slate call much, generally preferring to use diaphragm calls but on a couple of different occasions this spring I don't think I would have pulled the birds in had I not added some calling from the slate.
Since it has become apparent to me that I need to use a pot call more often I thought I might upgrade, can you explain or notice a different sound in the red slate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Jeremy

Quote from: Wisgobbler on May 21, 2019, 05:13:03 PM
I've been looking for a new pot call. I'm using standard gray slate right now. I don't rely on my slate call much, generally preferring to use diaphragm calls but on a couple of different occasions this spring I don't think I would have pulled the birds in had I not added some calling from the slate.
Since it has become apparent to me that I need to use a pot call more often I thought I might upgrade, can you explain or notice a different sound in the red slate?

Maybe a bit higher pitched than gray slate, but his has been easier to run, and just flat out sounds awesome. You can really run from soft to high volume and pitch cutting with this thing. I love it.

Big Jeremy

Wisgobbler

idgobble

Other good call makers doing red slate are Pat Strawser and Ron Clough--Close Calls.  They both make two sided calls so you can get gray or green or I suppose other surfaces to go with the red slate.

Clydetaylor1

Got one out of the classifieds. This week. Have played it a little and it is a great sounding call.