News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet/yelper drawing technique

Started by beardhunter87, May 08, 2019, 06:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 13, 2019, 10:38:33 PM
I seem unable to inhale for very long at all, call in my mouth or not, best I can figure to many years smoking things in my youth I guess. I do a series of inhales, only way I can seem to get anything done at all. Any ideas? Really hurts my lungs when I try to inhale more than a couple of seconds with a call or not.

Make a conscious effort to breathe easily, normal respiration rate just through your nose, in and out, while making small single note sounds on your trumpet. Just nose breathing. That's how little air you need to draw through a trumpet to make a sound. Try to be a soft as you can.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on May 13, 2019, 11:07:02 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 13, 2019, 10:38:33 PM
I seem unable to inhale for very long at all, call in my mouth or not, best I can figure to many years smoking things in my youth I guess. I do a series of inhales, only way I can seem to get anything done at all. Any ideas? Really hurts my lungs when I try to inhale more than a couple of seconds with a call or not.

Make a conscious effort to breathe easily, normal respiration rate just through your nose, in and out, while making small single note sounds on your trumpet. Just nose breathing. That's how little air you need to draw through a trumpet to make a sound. Try to be a soft as you can.
Thanks
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

SteelerFan

There's some excellent, 100% advice in this thread. I know I've made every conceivable mistake known to man, and invented a few, learning to run theses calls.

It's so hard to put into words all of the nuances that go into running the trumpet. Hand position is everything, but it must be matched with the right lip pressure, placement and air draw. Do those last 3 perfect, with no hand placement, and you get nothing. Perfect hand placement with an improper lip placement is no good either.. Etc, etc.

As to the original question of air. It took me forever to realize I was trying to draw WAY too much air. The tip of going as "soft" as you can really helps to train your brain. When it's right, you really can run the trumpet for minutes on end, while still breathing through your nose.

When I've got the lip stop position right where I like it (1/16" can make a difference), I'll use my hands and the cup I make with them to adjust tone. Air speed and pressure will aid in volume.

When learning, I would tell someone to constantly experiment with changing the hands, lip placement, and air pressure. When you find the right recipe - just be able to replicate it. That's where the practice comes in.