only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

South Dakota question

Started by turkey_slayer, May 12, 2019, 12:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLP

Quote from: SD_smith on May 14, 2019, 12:06:56 AM
Quote from: PLP on May 13, 2019, 07:45:18 PM
Black Hills are NOT a draw..anyone can get atleast 1..It is not OTC in the way most people refer.You either get it mailed to you or you must pick it up in Pierre..Residents can get a 2nd tag later in the season.Prairie tags ARE a draw however certain stages of the draw you can buy pretty much as many as you want of the leftovers(leftovers are leftovers for a reason!) but once again you must have them mailed to you or go to PIERRE..one does not simply go to wallyworld or mom n pops tackle store..best of luck

If you do it online then it is exactly the same as a draw. The tag is guaranteed, but the steps to get it are just like a draw for a prairie unit. So to say it isn't a draw at all is a little misleading. They may not call it a draw, but once again the process is exactly the same as one. So for someone that is looking at it for the first time then thinking of it as a GUARANTEED DRAW probably would help a lot.

Can you get them through the GFP office in Rapid City too? I think I've had friends stop by their office in Rapid and buy them there and they are residents.

Draw #4 of the prairie units is when you can buy as many leftovers as you want. I usually go ahead and get my home unit on first draw and then see what's available once it goes to leftovers. Usually end up buying 10+ more tags in my home unit.

Worded much better than I did..It is a guarantee..As far as purchasing at rapid city or other sdgf offices  that is news to me.. to quote the application

"License Eligibility: Residents and nonresidents are eligible. Licenses are available by application only through the GFP License Office in Fort Pierre. There is no application deadline. Applications may be submitted online or via mail through the end of the season, but please allow a minimum of 7-10 days for delivery of your license."

It may be possible but they worded it as pierre was the only place to pick them up.You may be able to?But i would call sdgf in rapid city etc before i got my heart broken and had to make the 8hr round trip to pierre..If anyone knows 100% I would like to hear bc i dont want to continue to
give out misinformation if i have.

PLP

Quote from: SoDak_JD on May 14, 2019, 01:56:48 AM
Black Hills are NOT a draw..anyone can get atleast 1..It is not OTC in the way most people refer.You either get it mailed to you or you must pick it up in Pierre..Residents can get a 2nd tag later in the season.Prairie tags ARE a draw however certain stages of the draw you can buy pretty much as many as you want of the leftovers(leftovers are leftovers for a reason!) but once again you must have them mailed to you or go to PIERRE..one does not simply go to wallyworld or mom n pops tackle store..best of luck

If you do it online then it is exactly the same as a draw. The tag is guaranteed, but the steps to get it are just like a draw for a prairie unit. So to say it isn't a draw at all is a little misleading. They may not call it a draw, but once again the process is exactly the same as one. So for someone that is looking at it for the first time then thinking of it as a GUARANTEED DRAW probably would help a lot.

Can you get them through the GFP office in Rapid City too? I think I've had friends stop by their office in Rapid and buy them there and they are residents.

Draw #4 of the prairie units is when you can buy as many leftovers as you want. I usually go ahead and get my home unit on first draw and then see what's available once it goes to leftovers. Usually end up buying 10+ more tags in my home unit.

A couple years ago my buddy went into the Mobridge GFP office and got one before we went out the Hills.  I think all the info was even handwritten because the tag printer wasn't working that day.
It may end up being quite possible that they will sell them at SdGF offices and that would be nice...but i am pretty sure they dont sell them at walmart etc

SoDak_JD

Quote from: PLP on May 14, 2019, 07:11:48 AM
Quote from: SoDak_JD on May 14, 2019, 01:56:48 AM

Agree 100%

A couple years ago my buddy went into the Mobridge GFP office and got one before we went out the Hills.  I think all the info was even handwritten because the tag printer wasn't working that day.
It may end up being quite possible that they will sell them at SdGF offices and that would be nice...but i am pretty sure they dont sell them at walmart etc

AndyH

I called about this today and the lady I spoke with said you can get them at any of the regional offices. You fill out the application right there online and then take your receipt to the front desk and they Issue you your tag right there.

turkey_slayer

Thanks for the info Andy as well as everyone else!

SoDak_JD

Quote from: turkey_slayer on May 16, 2019, 06:38:03 AM

When are you heading out there?  We'll be there next week and looking at a good amount of rain with the possibility of a little snow mixed in.

Crghss

I'm headed there soon. Watching the weather seems that it never stops raining...
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

turkey_slayer

Quote from: SoDak_JD on May 16, 2019, 12:27:12 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on May 16, 2019, 06:38:03 AM

When are you heading out there?  We'll be there next week and looking at a good amount of rain with the possibility of a little snow mixed in.
Next year. Flying out May 1. Was going to go later but will have a graduation to attend.

Britton40

There seemed to be as many hunters in the Black Hills last week as public land in Upstate SC.

SoDak_JD

Quote from: Britton40 on May 17, 2019, 07:46:26 AM
There seemed to be as many hunters in the Black Hills last week as public land in Upstate SC.

So do you think we'll have it all to ourselves at the beginning of this week since there's a foot of snow possible?

:anim_25:

AndyH

Quote from: SoDak_JD on May 17, 2019, 10:55:20 PM

So do you think we'll have it all to ourselves at the beginning of this week since there's a foot of snow possible?

No, I'll be out there next week so you will have at least one person out there to work around????

CAG

Being from the upstate, I know what you're saying. I spent three days up there this week and it wasn't as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoDak_JD

Quote from: AndyH on May 18, 2019, 07:38:08 AM
Quote from: SoDak_JD on May 17, 2019, 10:55:20 PM

No, I'll be out there next week so you will have at least one person out there to work around????

OH NO!  Haha!  Good luck and bring your rain/snow gear!