turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ENCORE shooters... I need your help...

Started by Dawn2Dusk, May 03, 2011, 02:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn2Dusk

I have a Encore 20 ga. that I had dipped.  I took the "abortion" apart and well when I put it back together after dipping I think I may have missed a step somewhere. 

Everything works like it's supposed to except for one item.

When I back the hammer and fire it, does the hammer on yours stay down or does it return to the mid safety position?

After firing it, do you have to thumb it back to a mid safe position?

Also, after firing it, breaking it open and then closing it, does it return to a mid safe position?

If it's supposed to return to a mid safe position on its own then YELP I've missed a step somewhere.

"Enjoying The Outdoors One Sunrise At A Time"

Dawn2Dusk

tiggere

yes it should go back to a mid safe position for everything...

Dawn2Dusk

Quote from: tiggere on May 03, 2011, 04:49:09 PM
yes it should go back to a mid safe position for everything...

I as much thought so.

Dad'gum'it what am I messin' up when putting this thing back together?

mightyjoeyoung

There is no "mid-safe" position on a TC Encore.  The Encore hammer doesn't  have a "half-cock" postion, it has a floating, spring loaded firing pin and a firing pin block safety and the hammer only just returns to original battery once it strikes the firing pin.  I own 4 of them and not one of them have any sort of safety...other than the firing pin block...and your index finger...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

tiggere

Go look at the picture at tcarms.com...if there is a gap between the firing pin and the hammer like on the photo's you are good...there is no "half cock safety" but the hammer should rest at the "half cock" position on its own...if it sits down hard on the firing pin then something is wrong...to me this is still considered a half cock safety even though they made it automatic...

tiggere

ok...so their technical term for it is called "at rest position"...see page 8 here...

http://stevespages.com/pdf/thompsoncenter_encore_rifle.pdf

After it strikes the firing pin though it should come back to the "at rest position" on its own

mightyjoeyoung

When you pull the trigger on an Encore, the hammer falls and srikes the floating firing pin.  You must pull the trigger all the way to the rear to break the sear and if you notice when you let the trigger go, the hammer clicks back, re-engaging the sear mechanism (NO SAFETY).  Again, you must pull the trigger all the way to the rear to make the gun fire.  The gap between the hammer face and the firing pin strike face is small, only a fraction of an inch so the bigger and more important issue would be if, after firing, the hammer reset to the cocked position! 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.