OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys With Red and Green Slate

Started by idgobble, May 14, 2019, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

After seeing a picture here about a year ago of Pat Strawser's new red and green slate call I contacted him to have one made.  There's something about that combination that really got the gobblers going this spring. I called in three that I got and three more that my friends got and a lot more that we either passed up or got away from us.  One morning I called in 3 nice gobblers about 45 minutes apart. After I got the first one, tagged it and was getting ready to move I said, "I think I'll try another call and see if we get an answer." About 5 seconds later we had another gobbler coming in. Took about 45 minutes and he saw my buddy move and got away so we packed up and were ready to leave when I said, "I think I'll try another call and see if we get an answer." 5 seconds later we had 2 more coming in and 45 minutes later we had one of them tagged. What a morning! Red and green slate both are harder than gray slate.  I'd say red is the hardest of the three and green is closer to red than gray. The red is almost like glass and takes a little getting used to because it is harder to use than gray but anyone who uses glass, aluminum, corian or any of the other hard surface pot calls can easily sound good with it.  Pat's a great call maker. The wait seemed long but was worth it.  I think his calls are in high demand.  The red slate is more rare than other colors and as far as I know only comes from one quarry on the VT/NY border that is half in NY and half in VT and belongs to one of my friends.  I don't know of any other red slate quarries. Being kind of a traditionalist I'm going to have another one made with maple because I think it will be fun to have an all Vermont call. Watch for this one in the pot call classifieds. See the photo of the 2 birds we got that great morning. 

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats on what sounds like a very good season.

bbcoach

Congrats.  IMO the slate pot call duplicates the sounds of a hen turkey the best.  I have a gray slate that has called in more turkeys, both hens and gobblers, then anything in my Arsenal.  Is it because I use it yes.   But the reason I use it is because it will get reactions and draws them in.  I love slate pots.

PSEoutlaw07

I have a grey and green slate from Strawser, for the morning tree yelps and clucks, that grey slate is deadly
but when I need to talk to that bird and get a little louder, I have a cedar/blue mahoe green slate that basically sounds like a glass call and its my favorite call
My favorite combination is anything with cedar and the green slate make a great combo

vt35mag

Quote from: idgobble on May 14, 2019, 02:28:58 PM
The red slate is more rare than other colors and as far as I know only comes from one quarry on the VT/NY border that is half in NY and half in VT and belongs to one of my friends. 

The Tarans?

idgobble

Quote from: vt35mag on May 14, 2019, 04:01:13 PM
Quote from: idgobble on May 14, 2019, 02:28:58 PM
The red slate is more rare than other colors and as far as I know only comes from one quarry on the VT/NY border that is half in NY and half in VT and belongs to one of my friends. 

The Tarans?

Hadeka Stone Corp.

idgobble

Quote from: PSEoutlaw07 on May 14, 2019, 03:01:32 PM
I have a grey and green slate from Strawser, for the morning tree yelps and clucks, that grey slate is deadly
but when I need to talk to that bird and get a little louder, I have a cedar/blue mahoe green slate that basically sounds like a glass call and its my favorite call
My favorite combination is anything with cedar and the green slate make a great combo

The red slate seems just a little harder than the green.  This call with red on top and green on bottom and then my other favorite call with glass on top and gray on bottom (Roberts Bros.) makes a great two call combination that covers just about every situation for me. The only other pot call I use is aluminum top and corian bottom from Enticer.  I especially like his aluminum for locating. I've called in lots of birds with the corian.

Sir-diealot

Congratulations to you, sounds like a fun season. I was thinking the other day it would be neat to have a 2 sided red/green slate call, no clue who to get it made from though, have never had a 2 sided call before.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

idgobble

There are a bunch of two side pot calls. Besides Pat Strawser I like Roberts Brothers, Enticer and Ron Clough (Close Calls).  Google "Two sided turkey pot calls"

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.