News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most Versatile Box

Started by Rzrbac, May 12, 2019, 09:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: Rzrbac on May 14, 2019, 04:11:16 PM
Been on the phone twice today with Mr. Fulkerson. I'm leaning that way but not quite committed, kind of like that last gobbler I messed with ;D

For those that have one, what wood combos do you have? For those that have multiple boxes, what is your favorite combo. Think I would go with English Walnut and Snakewood but I'm basing that off of looks.

I'm not sure if your referring to Fulkerson or just in general. If a general question I like bloodwood/mineral poplar from McKamey the best. Bloodwood/Butternut is good too. Truthfully I most often use a cedar/butternut one that's real good as well

mspaci

My Fulkerson bloodwood over apple should be here today & a buddies snakewood over black limba is ready. Have heard both calls & they are outstanding. Will huntit Friday. Mike

Rzrbac

He was playing a Snakewood over black limba over the phone yesterday.

2nd 100

I'm no hen box man ( YET. ?) but I have one on order from Matt Fulkerson . But I can tell you that I really believe in a long box . I have killed more than my share and called many more up to meet their death with several makers long boxes. Lamar Williams , Marlin Watkins , David Halloran and Jack Scott mostly but a Doug Camp was my first ( screaming Hen)  I almost always have one on me especially on out of state hunts . I live in Georgia and have 10 Grand Slams with 2 Royals and have had at least 1 long box with me on all the trips .

Rzrbac

I've not ruled a longbox out. I have the hen box on order from Mr. Fulkerson but will also be at Unicoi. If one strikes my ear just right it may come home with me. I really have no box playing skills so I'm pretty hesitant to order one. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to try the hen box. They seem like a big scratch box and might be easier to run than a long box. I admit I'm pretty limited on my call playing abilities. I've always been a mouth call user I'm just trying to branch out and add some new sounds.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Rzrbac on May 17, 2019, 11:33:20 PM
I've not ruled a longbox out. I have the hen box on order from Mr. Fulkerson but will also be at Unicoi. If one strikes my ear just right it may come home with me. I really have no box playing skills so I'm pretty hesitant to order one. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to try the hen box. They seem like a big scratch box and might be easier to run than a long box. I admit I'm pretty limited on my call playing abilities. I've always been a mouth call user I'm just trying to branch out and add some new sounds.
It will take you little playing to get use to the hen box and how it plays .. Matt has instructional video on Youtube about playing the hen box ....