OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most Versatile Box

Started by Rzrbac, May 12, 2019, 09:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

What's the most versatile type box. I'm kicking around a hen box and long box. May just look at a Cost style, I have a couple of them already. I've never used a box a great deal but every once in awhile I pull one out for a change. I really want a box that has a good gobble along with good cutts.

I really like the way Mr. Bullock sounds on his website. I know that he's running a black limba and bloodwood box.

Oh yeah, it needs to be ugly. The two Cost style boxes are from Mr. Paul and I never hunted them because I thought they were too pretty for the woods.

Bowguy

I like longboxes. There's nothing you can't do w em.

coyote1

X2 for a longbox. They will do everything, even kee-kee. Ernie fetters makes great long boxes at an excellent price.

merriamsman

I always carry a longbox, shortbox, and hen box with me, but if I could only carry one, it would be a longbox. A good longbox is very versatile, and out here in the west the extra volume and typically higher pitch is helpful when hunting Merriam's in the open spaces and high winds that are often encountered. A good longbox is tough to beat for locating birds.

Sir-diealot

I don't have near the experience of these other guys but I really like my long box the most. Hope to get another in August.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

paboxcall

Longbox for sure. Once you find several distinct turkeys sounds on each rail (kee-kee and first-year hen yelp high on the rail, through gravely gobbler yelps lower on the rail), change your finger position on the paddle handle, which slightly changes the tone, and go find some more turkeys on those rails.

Mini boat, same thing, but quite the unique sound all its own because of its smaller size.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Rzrbac

Who makes a mini boat?  That sounds interesting too. My biggest concern is packing a long box. Is it's a call I won't use much and is a pain to pack I can see it just sitting on a shelf. I'm really hoping to get my hands on different type boxes at Unicoi. I figure I'll either come home with one or order one.

Greg Massey

If i had the choose of one call to take to the woods it would be Matt Fulkerson snake / apple hen box ... you can just do so much more with hen box.... loud , soft it doesn't matter hen box has the most natural sound of hen...

paboxcall

Quote from: Rzrbac on May 13, 2019, 07:59:11 PM
Who makes a mini boat?  That sounds interesting too. My biggest concern is packing a long box. Is it's a call I won't use much and is a pain to pack I can see it just sitting on a shelf. I'm really hoping to get my hands on different type boxes at Unicoi. I figure I'll either come home with one or order one.

Ralph Snodgrass, Lightning Strike Turkey Calls, makes an awesome long box and mini boat.

A long box will fit in most vest deeper interior pockets, but I prefer carrying mine in a leather holster on my belt. Lot of people think long and mini boats are just locators, but they perform from start to up close at the gun, quality long and mini boxes make the soft talk.

Again the birds really hammered Ralph's mini boat this year. Something different about a mini.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Rzrbac

Well I've narrowed it down to a long box, mini boat paddle, hen box or Cost style. All the options are equally intriguing. I have looked on Fulkerson's website. There are some nice looking calls.  Almost too pretty for the woods. Wished I knew turkey hunters who used custom calls around here. Never ran across anybody using anything but production boxes and pots.

Hope to get reservations for Unicoi made in the morning. It's a long time till January to get my hands on some of these calls. Glad I got some trumpets to occupy my time.

Rzrbac

Been on the phone twice today with Mr. Fulkerson. I'm leaning that way but not quite committed, kind of like that last gobbler I messed with ;D

For those that have one, what wood combos do you have? For those that have multiple boxes, what is your favorite combo. Think I would go with English Walnut and Snakewood but I'm basing that off of looks.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Snakewood/Black Limba is a great combo in a hen box. I have one from Matt and one from Richard and they both sound fantastic.

Rzrbac

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 14, 2019, 05:39:18 PM
Snakewood/Black Limba is a great combo in a hen box. I have one from Matt and one from Richard and they both sound fantastic.

Funny you post that. Just got off the phone with him and again. That's what I went with. Super nice to to speak to by the way.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Rzrbac on May 14, 2019, 06:04:22 PM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 14, 2019, 05:39:18 PM

Funny you post that. Just got off the phone with him and again. That's what I went with. Super nice to to speak to by the way.
snakewood / apple and snakewood / english walnut ....

nitro

My most versatile box is 2004 paddle call from Steve Mann.

It will do it all. Soft , loud and every call that can be made with a box. I don't have a clue how many Gobblers I have called in with her, but its a tall stack.
Royal Slam 2008