turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Project: long dreamed of Humpback Browning

Started by lowoctane, May 09, 2019, 08:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

My mentor and I used to talk about the ultimate turkey gun frequently and him being a Browning enthusiast it was a foregone conclusion that it would be a 3" mag humpback with a few alterations. So, in his honor and memory, I've started down that road. Was able to find and purchase a round knob Belgium 3" magnum for a fair price and have already had a barrel cut and threaded by William at Sumtoy and through that process learned that there are two types of thin wall choke tubes, so I chose the one that he recommended. He also made me a choke tube that I requested to shoot my favorite loads, Winchester LB 3"x6's. I am very anxious to see how this combo works! Will have the receiver drilled and tapped for some kind of low power scope or red dot as that's my preferred sighting system. Still unsure about the metal treatment. So many options! The stock and forearm have the typical sheen that I will lightly sand to a flat finish as I'm a wood enthusiast by heart. All in all, I am extremely excited to be able to finally put this together in his honor! He was an amazing hunter, mentor, friend, father in law, and Christian Brother!!!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

LaLongbeard

Love the old Browning's my Granpa has one when I was a kid.
Everything sounds good but are you really putting a scope on it? Can't imagine a classic Browning with a scope screwed to it, but to each his own I guess
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ben1100mag

A buffing with a green scotch brite pad will take the shine off the stock.

lowoctane

Quote from: Ben1100mag on May 09, 2019, 01:10:06 PM
A buffing with a green scotch brite pad will take the shine off the stock.

Forgot about scotch-brite! We used to use them on engine bearings during assembly. Thanks! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

GD1656

I bought a Humpback 3" mag 12 ga in 1972 for hunting the everglades.It has a 32 " full choke bbl. Old timers told me that was the gun to have.I put it on layaway and made payments till it was mine. I killed a few deer and turkeys with it then bought a 26" jap bbl for it for duck hunting with steel shot. Went to a SBE and now a Affinity 20 for turkeys,but nothing is built like a A5.Just dont have your shoulder against the tree when you send a 3" load down the barrel---they kill on one end and wound on the other.

lowoctane

Thanks for sharing! I killed my first turkey with a shiny '52 vintage 2.75" A5, dressed in GI camo. What memories with that gun! There's nothing like hearing the steel sing when you let the bolt go on an empty chamber! Can not wait to finish this gun!   
                                                                        :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

GD1656

Be sure to post pics when you finish it or any time ! I loved to show off the speed feed with mine while duck hunting

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

An update: my trusted gunsmith says that there's not enough metal on the receiver to drill and tap for optics, so I ordered a B-Square saddle style mount. Also have a rib barrel that I'm looking into to use the rib for a small red dot. Going to shoot the Sumtoy barrel/choke today with Win LB 3"x6's to see what it'll do... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on May 09, 2019, 09:28:12 AM
Love the old Browning's my Granpa has one when I was a kid.
Everything sounds good but are you really putting a scope on it? Can't imagine a classic Browning with a scope screwed to it, but to each his own I guess
I was thinking exact same thing. I have a Belgium browning and I'd change nothing.

jryser

I combined classic Auto 5 (1962 Sweet 16 here) with the Aimpoint S1. Killed a find Iowa bird with the combo!!
https://youtu.be/vu2a5fxqiMc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowoctane

Quote from: jryser on May 18, 2019, 09:57:52 PM
I combined classic Auto 5 (1962 Sweet 16 here) with the Aimpoint S1. Killed a find Iowa bird with the combo!!
https://youtu.be/vu2a5fxqiMc

Sweet!!! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

Approximately 30 yds using SumToy's choke. It has multiple wad stoppers so the second shot produced the hole as I didn't clean the tube. Win LB 3"x6's, 1.75 oz.

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

eggshell

One word of advice. I have an older O/U that I had choke tubes put in and it  had to have thin walled tubes. I decided to take it turkey hunting last year just
the fun of using my old field gun with 2.75" shells ( used Remington 4x6 turkey loads) . I did kill a nice gobbler with it. What I found out is the thin walled tubes didn't handle the high pressure loads
well. I broke my full choke tube, it literally unwound. So keep an eye on them and maybe have an extra. The one that broke was several years old, maybe they have addressed
the issue. I have carlson's in mine. I also have a browning auto loader classic with the rounded hump I bought in the 90s. It has been my main turkey killer and has put it's share
in the dirt and never failed me. I love it.