OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot Call Conditioning?

Started by BDeal, May 06, 2019, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Greetings-

Question on pot call conditioning-

I use the green or brown 3M rougher pad (scotch brite) for slate calls and 150 grit sandpaper for crystal, ceramic, and glass. My question is: which calls can I use a standard stone and diamond stone on for conditioning? I am nervous to use the stones as I don't want to damage any of my calls and wasn't sure if they are to be used with only certain surfaces?

Thank You

Spitten and drummen

You can use a stone on the glass and crystal. Just do not put excessive pressure on the call when doing so. I use only brown scratch pads on my slate and 80 up to 220 sandpaper on my glass and crystal. I have noticed the coarser sandpaper makes my pots a bit more raspy while the lighter grit clears them up. Hope this helps
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Clydetaylor1

Use stone on glass and crystal. Use dry wall pad to keep it touched up. Like sand paper on slate.

Spitten and drummen

Do yourself a favor and keep sandpaper off of slate. Stick to a scotch pad
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 06, 2019, 09:28:19 PM
Do yourself a favor and keep sandpaper off of slate. Stick to a scotch pad
Agreed.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BDeal

Are the brown scratch pads better than the green for slate calls?

Thanks!

1iagobblergetter

I have used the green most the time for years,but have also used the brown and haven't been able to tell the difference myself.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: BDeal on May 07, 2019, 08:59:18 AM
Are the brown scratch pads better than the green for slate calls?

Thanks!

I have used both. Through alot of recommendations I only have used brown for the last 5 or 6 years. Can't really tell a difference.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

coyote1

Good information above. Imo the brown is a little rougher and better for striker tips. It's easier to use the brown on the call and striker. Only have to buy and carry the one scotch pad that way.

BDeal

I'm having trouble finding the brown pads. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks!

coyote1

Quote from: BDeal on May 08, 2019, 10:46:52 AM
I'm having trouble finding the brown pads. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks!

If I remember right, I got mine at the auto parts store. Should be in the body work/sandpaper section.

Bowguy

Quote from: BDeal on May 08, 2019, 10:46:52 AM

Thanks!

A hardware store or Home Depot